Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first OW dive was at Ko Marnvichai, near Pattaya, Thailand - visibility was terrible, the sky overcast and the dive only lasted 30 minutes. Almost 300 dives later, I am still a Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Addict!

Bonefish Bay, Bahamas. The tide was out and I had to do a 'giant stride' entry from a pier a full 30 feet above the water. I said, "But... I'm a prairie boy!" The drop into the water seemed like it lasted a full minute but it was uneventful.

Nine Foot Stake off Key West, between Hurricanes, in basically undiveable seas. But to make up for it, my met-on-the-boat dive buddy panicked when he saw a shark and shot to the surface cutting the dive short and wouldn't get back in the water. :rolleyes: Thinking about it I'm amazed I didn't give up diving right then and there! :)

[
Me well West coast of Oahu, little north of Makaha. Vis 70 feet, temp mid seventies, depth 45 for about 30 min. Damn I wish I was diveing there right now. Oh well La Jolla will do.

My first OW dives were in Lake Wazee - It is a flooded open pit iron mine near Black River Falls.

First 'on my own' OW dive was off Tavernaire in the Florida Keys. Much warmer water, much much better visiblity.

The certification dives in Wazee were amusing - To practice for the compass navigation part I walked a there and back course on land. Wondered why the compass needle kept wandering off as I walked, then I remembered this was an iron mine...

Its fun seeing a two year old thread brought back to life!

Kings Den in Crystal River, Florida. And yes 25 years later I took my 12 year old daughter and 15 year old son back for a dive there.

i think that's the same thing as King's Spring (that's what they call it these days).

btw, interesting fact, did you know that Sheck Exley's first cave dive happened
in that little cave? He was just out of OW, and doing a regular dive, when he
found the entrance and went in.

the rest, as they say, is history

First "attempt", I guess you could call it that, was in a small lake in IN. Attempted because of major problems with the ears and ended up having surgery to correct problems. Only got to about 10 feet.
First OW dive, even though I wasn't certified yet, was in Aruba. My GF and I both said that we wouldn't mind going back, I could do that. And would love to do the same dive.

H2Andy:
i think that's the same thing as King's Spring (that's what they call it these days).

btw, interesting fact, did you know that Sheck Exley's first cave dive happened
in that little cave? He was just out of OW, and doing a regular dive, when he
found the entrance and went in.

the rest, as they say, is history
Yea, its really a small world. I did know that. You are right its Kings Spring, not Kings Den. Thats what happens when you get old. You forget things. I actually grew up in New Port Richey if you know where that is. Moved back to Indiana in 79'

Back
Top Bottom