Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you mean checkout dives, it was in Cypress Spring, in the Florida Panhandle. If you mean first post cert, it was Orange Grove sink in Luraville, FL. scary at the time

Muirion Islands, Exmouth, Western Autralia.
Were accompanied by a huge friendly potato cod called Max for about 20 minutes.

My first OW dive was in Cozumel, Mexico. Never been there since but would love to do it again. :( Someday I'll go back.

Great question-brings back memories.

Checkout dives in Lake Minniwaska(?) in upstate NY.: cold, dark, deep.
"Way back" in 1974, we did 4 dives over the weekend.
I'm not sure if the standards have changed, but I still remember these two: we had to follow a line down to 100'-or so they claimed- initial a slate,and return up the line. The other fun trick was a shallow dive ( 20-35 ' max depth), until your J-valve kicked in, indicating 500 PSI left in the tank. Then you calmly pulled the reserve handle,and surfaced.

First dive post cert.: Somewhere off the NJ coast near Barnegat Bay-equally dark and cold.
Ah the good old days.???
Mike

First SCUBA was in Cancun. First OW dives as part of my certification were in Key Largo at the "glorious" Jules Underseas Lodge.

A quarry in southern NJ where I worked as a Jr. Lifeguard. My boss put me in the lifeguard row boat and we proceeded to the deep end of the quarry. Got me all suited up...tank, backpack and Healthways double hose reg. Then he tied a rope around my waist, then over side...Told me if he stopped seeing bubbles he'd pull me to the surface and I'd be OK

Hooked ever since

I did 3 dives at Lake Denton on Sat. and the last one in WPB on Sunday.

Lake Denton sure is a popular spot!!!

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

Bringing back good memories here ...

My first open water dive was off the coast of an atoll in Fiji ... Namotu island. What an incredible place! I wish I could go back now as an advanced diver. (so i can concentrate on the incredible surroundings rather than survival!)

The same place as a huge number of UK divers, Stoney Cove. It's a flooded quarry that's just about as far from the sea as you can get. Cold and murky, it's a wonder I didn't give give up there and then.

Silver Reef, Grand Bahama. Beautiful Reef 12 to 15', lots of Coral and pretty fish.
it was a resort course dive, I was hooked!! When we got back to the shop I signed up to get certified. My second dive was Shark Junction :)

We go back every year!! We took our son there for his C-dives.

Back
Top Bottom