Where's the best shore/boat divingin Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEACREATURE

Reaction score
I'm planning a surprise 40th b-day trip for my husband. We are both certified but haven't been diving in 4 years (kids). We will be going in November. I read a little about the Big Island. Since I've never been shore diving outside of a resort, do you just pick up tanks at any dive shop? Sounds silly, but I just don't know. Also, do the island planes fly at commercial altitudes? Any suggestions for accomodations would be great as well.

Thanks

Michelle

Sounds like you have a nice b-day surprise planned. My first recommendation would be to take a quick refresher. The best option would be to take a refresher using the same gear you will be renting for your shore dives. This will give you a chance to get familiar with the gear before going off on your own, figure out how much weight you need and practice a few basic diving skills. If you have your own BC and reg, it will give you a chance to get refamiliarized with them and make sure everything is working properly.

Yes, you can go to a dive shop and pick up tanks and weights. Don't forget your c-card. Most shops will require a credit card number as a deposit on the gear.

There are a lot of shore diving sites on the Big Island. The key is to find one that has appropriate sea conditions for the day you will be diving. Most dive shops can give you a good idea of which sites are probably going to be good that day. I would hesitate to say any given site will be perfect...you really have to go there, watch the ocean for about ten minutes and make sure you can not only get in comfortably, but also get out comfortably.

One great spot is Place of Refuge (Two Step). It has been written about on this forum quite a bit. If there is a swell, it would probably be from the NorthWest in November in which case Place of Refuge should be nice.

Again, my first recommendation is the refresher. It usually results in a more enjoyable experience for you once you are on your own.

Interisland flights are just as much a concern as any other flight. Also, there are a lot of places on the island that you can drive to that take you to an elevation over 2000 feet. Driving to the Volcano, Waimea, Hilo, just to name a few. Driving to the top of Mauna Kea would be even worse that taking a flight.

There's a lot of info here; the place to start would be the "Insider Information" sticky at the top of this board.

I'm totally biased toward the Big Island and not only for the diving. The desolation of the Saddle Road and upper reaches of Mauna Kea (and for the lucky, the area in the "piko" or navel of the island, the spot in the visual center of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, and Hualalai volcanoes), the rainforests of Hamakua and Puna and Volcano, the wide open rangelands of Waimea/Kamuela/Kohala... A special place, full of what we call "mana".

I think that it will be worth spending the bucks to first go with a commercial outfit, especially since you've been out of it for awhile. It'll be safer that way and you can get a lot of info out of them. You might want to check-in with a couple members of this board who run ops in Kona.

My standard line is to be careful about shorediving anywhere in this state. Snorkel the spot first and then plan the dive, paying particular attention to the exit. Most dive spots are over and through rocks and surf. What looks easy might not be while humping/swimming a tank and weightbelt.

Although I don't live in Hawaii, I have to say I'm biased toward Maui. I haven't done any diving on the Big Island, so can't really compare the diving, but I think Maui's beaches can't be beat. Maui also has some very good shore diving, and the boat diving to Molokini and Lanai is spectacular. Because Maui has a lot of beaches, you can always find a good shore dive with an easy entry. There are also great dive ops that specialize in shore diving and can take the guess work out of your dive.

I totally agree with the recommendation to do a refresher when you get there. Book your first dive as a refresher and ask your DM about the local conditions and the best places to go shore diving during your vacation. Maui Dive Shop has an excellent (free) magazine they publish that has all the shore diving information you could ever want. If you go to their website, you can even have the magazine sent to you!

Aloha Michelle,

Wondering if you'll be travelling with the kids or willl it just be you and the birthday boy? Maui is a great place for shore diving and about 100 other things to keep you (and perhaps your family) busy. Like others have mentioned before, good idea to get a refresher and maybe an acclimation dive to our local sites and conditions. I watch divers attempt their own dives almost daily. They always seem to find something to stumble over or mess them up. We have a dive flag law here in Hawaii too. Make sure you have one or get a guide who will bring one along to keep you safe and legal. Which ever island you chose, you really can't go wrong.

If you'd like more specific info on Maui, please PM me and I will be happy to try to answer your questions. I can help get you a really nice hook-up on a friends vacation rental condo, just steps from one of Maui's prettiest beaches. Happy B-day to your hubby!

Just me and the hubby this time. Flights are booked already, so Maui is out. Perhaps next time. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Shaka Doug:
Aloha Michelle,

Wondering if you'll be travelling with the kids or willl it just be you and the birthday boy? Maui is a great place for shore diving and about 100 other things to keep you (and perhaps your family) busy. Like others have mentioned before, good idea to get a refresher and maybe an acclimation dive to our local sites and conditions. I watch divers attempt their own dives almost daily. They always seem to find something to stumble over or mess them up. We have a dive flag law here in Hawaii too. Make sure you have one or get a guide who will bring one along to keep you safe and legal. Which ever island you chose, you really can't go wrong.

If you'd like more specific info on Maui, please PM me and I will be happy to try to answer your questions. I can help get you a really nice hook-up on a friends vacation rental condo, just steps from one of Maui's prettiest beaches. Happy B-day to your hubby!

Thanks for the wise advise and info. on other things to see.

bluemagoo:
There's a lot of info here; the place to start would be the "Insider Information" sticky at the top of this board.

I'm totally biased toward the Big Island and not only for the diving. The desolation of the Saddle Road and upper reaches of Mauna Kea (and for the lucky, the area in the "piko" or navel of the island, the spot in the visual center of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, and Hualalai volcanoes), the rainforests of Hamakua and Puna and Volcano, the wide open rangelands of Waimea/Kamuela/Kohala... A special place, full of what we call "mana".

I think that it will be worth spending the bucks to first go with a commercial outfit, especially since you've been out of it for awhile. It'll be safer that way and you can get a lot of info out of them. You might want to check-in with a couple members of this board who run ops in Kona.

My standard line is to be careful about shorediving anywhere in this state. Snorkel the spot first and then plan the dive, paying particular attention to the exit. Most dive spots are over and through rocks and surf. What looks easy might not be while humping/swimming a tank and weightbelt.

See if you can sneak time in for the sea horse farm. Im going to have to go back just for that. You picked the right Island. I so miss the big Isle. Im trying very hard to get a job there again that starts in a few weeks. Oahu sucks! Maui is nice but Big Isle has it hands down.
Hook up with a LDS, most there are pretty good. Get a SCUBA Tune up and have them show you shore dives at the same time. Also you MUST do the manta dive. Book early in your trip to allow for weather. All the shops go to the same place except one. Big Island divers. They have a "secret" spot that if the plankton count is down, they will burn the fuel to get you there. Also the DVD of you with the Mantas is worth the price.
Enjoy your visit! Aloha.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom