Which Aggressor Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drizzt117

Contributor
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided I want to go on an Aggressor Liveaboard Summer 2003. I will be going with my girlfriend who will be newly AOW certified. I'm debating between somewhere in the Carribean (Bay Islands, Cayman, or Turks and Caicos) or Fiji or Tajiti. Anybody have any experience with any of these. Looking for intermediate diving and nice accomodations. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

Hi!

You might want to reconsider the Carib for a Summer trip: that is the middle of hurricane season and, with the exception of the very southern part of the Carib, your trip runs the risk of cancellation, bad weather either before or after a hurricane, or, much worse, being on board when a hurricane passes through. Of course, the captain will have the boat in port, if that happens. But remember the "Dancer" and Belize!

The Aggressors are a class fleet and you will probably love the accommodations, crew, and ammenities--not to mention the diving! Fiji is a delight and I can recommend that trip. However, remember that our Northern Hemisphere Summer is their Southern Hemisphere Winter. Fortunately, the "dry" season on Fiji is May-October and, since it is Winter there, it is the cool season. The bad side: water temps can be as low as 74 deg. F (but they can be in the high 70's also) and the surface can be a little choppy. The good side: vis. is fantastic--no algae, etc. Surface temps will be typical tropical 80's+.

The sealife around Fiji is abundant and gorgeous! You will, no doubt, have many opportunities to spot what I consider to be some of the most beautiful fish in the ocean seas: the Clown Triggerfish. If you are really lucky, you will run across a Ribbon Eel. They are one of the most spectacularly colored fish you will ever see. And there is much, much more.

Never been to Tahiti (great loss that needs to be addressed), so I cannot make a recommendation. However, if you go on an Aggressor, it will likely be a fantastic trip!

Have fun!

Scorpionfish

... I was in Belize not long after that happened. The local version of the story is this: the divers on the Dancer were offered on-land accomodations but refused. The reason? They would have to stay with a pastor and would not be able to party. Hmmm makes you wonder.

Are you implying that they died because they insisted on engaging in vice rather than taking shelter with a man of god? Would you be willing to say such a thing to the victims' families?

It does not make ME wonder one bit. I will fight to the death for your right to party.

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
... I was in Belize not long after that happened. The local version of the story is this: the divers on the Dancer were offered on-land accomodations but refused. The reason? They would have to stay with a pastor and would not be able to party. Hmmm makes you wonder.

I don't want this thread turning into a yelling match like a lot of other threads. I am simply looking for advice as to where to go June of 2003 for a live-aboard, not speculate as to why the people aboard the "Dancer" were killed. Thanks.

Thomas

Oh yeah, and I thought hurricane season didn't start until August. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But so far, its looking like somewhere in the Carribean b/c I don't have an extra $1500 to go to the Pacific.

how about Truk Agressor?

Thomas,

You're dead on about our hurricaine season, very unusal to have one before the middle or end of August.

The wife and I are going on the T&C Aggressor 6/14--6/21. By that time a brand new boat should be in service, had no idea they were building it when we booked two years ago !

We prefer to book from the end of May to the end of July, because of the generally stable weather conditions.

First time on the T&C, I understand the reef crest starts at 45-50ft
but the walls and scenery is some of the best in the Carib.

Been on the Cayman Ag. twice, while the trip over to Little Cayman can be rough( 8--9hrs. ) the walls start a 18--20ft and are gorgeous ! Bottom line, you can't go wrong on an Aggressor.

Belieze Ag. was also great, though we did that in Oct. and before they had private baths. The new boats with private baths have spoiled us forever.

Eventually we'll get around to the Bay Islands, as I understand it's great for macro photogs.

Would love to do the other side of the world, but time and money are always the issue. Plus now you have to consider the nasty little buggers trying to mess up everyones day.

Well, wherever ya'll go I'm sure you will have a ball, ENJOY !

John

Hey John,

Thanks for all the info. It's funny that the week you mentioned is about the same time I was planning (either that or the week after that). If I decide on T&C, maybe I'll see you there. It might end up just coming down to cost since it sounds like all the diving through Aggressor in the Carribean is great. Thanks again.

Thomas

scubabear once bubbled...
Thomas,

You're dead on about our hurricaine season, very unusal to have one before the middle or end of August.

The wife and I are going on the T&C Aggressor 6/14--6/21.

We prefer to book from the end of May to the end of July, because of the generally stable weather conditions.

John

Scubabear,

The peak of hurricane season is around Aug-Sept, but they do occur with reasonable frequency in late July! So, to be safe, I usually recommend being conservative and staking out your spot before mid-July and after early-November. It looks like you do much the same!

No sense in ruining a vacation by engaging in hurricane watching a week before you are due to depart!

And, once again, I concur: you cannot go wrong with the Aggressor guys! Super service, excellent facilities and great diving.

Scorpionfish

I would also advise against the Caribbean in summer. You may get great weather, but it might be a complete washout. Is it worth the risk...?

Fiji may be windy & choppy in July/August, as that is trsaditionally the season for South Easterlies from the Antarctic. It certainly wouldn't stop you diving, but it just won't be like it is earlier or later in the year.

Tahiti is worth considering, though there is almost no space left for 2003. I was on the inaugural trip in September and can vouch for the quality of the diving. Shed loads of sharks and fish, but the reefs are not very interesting at all. Nothing like Fiji! July is a good time to go to Manihi because marbled groupers go there to congregate & mate in their 1000s. Scott & Robin, who lurk on the board (see Pacific travel section), were there for their honeymoon. We met up in Bora Bora. You will see see lots of mantas in Manihi. You could also pop down to Rurutu and go snorkelling with humpbacks.

You could also consider the Galapagos or Cocos. Should not be a problem at that time of year.

Palau & Truk it is transitional weatherwise.

On another note, Nitorxbabe, you were misinformed re Wave Dancer.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom