Which Apeks Backplate? WTX Aluminium vs WTX Ultralight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what its worth, I just "nested" an IST plate with a Halcyon plate and everything (slots, holes, entire plate lines up perfectly). Nice brushed finish on both. I can't imagine that they're not from the same OEM.

Ah OK. Why not just rent the BCD? You can still bring your own mask and computer. The reg might also be heavy/space occupying if you are traveling. If you are not backpacking, I find the bulk to be more problematic than the weight. I have an STA that weighs only 327 g/0.72 lbs.
View attachment 482344

I don't know how long my travels will last but know they will be centered around diving and so feel know would be a good time to buy. I already have reg/fins/mask/computer and some places in Indonesia don't have equipment to rent - such as south Raja Ampat. Last week in Bali I also had a malfunctioning rented bcd at 27m. This was probably the tipping point for me.

The IST Dolphin Tech doesn't "need" an STA. It has slots for cam-bands.

View attachment 482345
For what its worth, I just "nested" an IST plate with a Halcyon plate and everything (slots, holes, entire plate lines up perfectly). Nice brushed finish on both. I can't imagine that they're not from the same OEM.

Good to know. I was looking at getting the Apeks 18lb wing and read that if the slots on the backplate don't align perfectly then I would need an STA. I guess I could just buy the wing first then take it to the IST dealer and check it all aligns up with their backplate.

Still would the extra bulk the aluminium backplate takes up be worth it over a soft plate?

Good to know. I was looking at getting the Apeks 18lb wing and read that if the slots on the backplate don't align perfectly then I would need an STA. I guess I could just buy the wing first then take it to the IST dealer and check it all aligns up with their backplate.

Still would the extra bulk the aluminium backplate takes up be worth it over a soft plate?

I used cam straps for years with an Oxycheq wing that had ZERO slots ie. NADA. There was no need for the straps to go through the wing. [edit] (with a stay)

I'm too lazy to try it, but has anybody tried going "STA-less" with a Halcyon backplate? I sandwiched the backplate between a twinset and a single tank. Doesn't seem to be very stable.
BP1.jpg

BP2.jpg
BP3.jpg

Re "bulk of AL BP;

There isn't much bulk, but I used to pack the plate last as a hard cover for the (wrapped in undergarment) regulators/gauges/inflator hose etc. as if my whole carry-on was like a turtle shell. If "they" want to inspect the bag,
its easy to just peel back the top of the shell, let them see regs, and put the shell back on.

Just curious. How? Can you post pics?

Sorry, at first I used a STA, later cut slots to accomodate the bands so I could ditch the STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom