Which are your favorite Florida shipwrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the good ol' Copenhagen off of Lauderdale by the Sea for the following reasons.

It was my first wreck dive in 1977
You can get there from shore
It was an accidental sinking, (it ran aground...err...areef)
you could not possibly get into deco on it as I do not think you can bust 35' without slamming your guages into the sand.
You can snorkle it also.
Warm fuzzies, I have taken countless friends there for their first wreck dive.

The Copenhagen is most certainly not the most interesting, intact, loades with Jewfish wreck in Florida, but I think it ought to be enjoyed at least once in your life.

Just my two pieces of copper that are really made mostly of zinc.

Chug

Avocet, Pete Tide II, Anteres, Brass Wreck, Russian Freighter (San Pablo), USS Massachusetts (if you catch it right), and of course the Oriskany, all off Pensacola.

Yeah, what Split says, plus the YDTs, Heron/LCM, Tug Sylvia ... we could go on and on. We got your ships right here. Come on down.

Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Lee,

The Baja California is not near Key West, it's in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Ft Myers/Naples.

It's a great wreck as are the Fantastico, Roatan Express, Bay Ronto, Mexican Pride, Gwalia, and a couple of my favorites... the USCG Cutter Blackthorn and Tug Sheridan off the Tampa Bay coast.

There are dozens of more awesome wrecks in the Gulf that don't get the publicity of Atlantic wrecks, but produce big fish, killer dives and even cool artifacts.

Check out some of them here: Wild West Coast of Florida

Capt Chad

Yeah I do not think you are gonna get a set of dishes off the East Coast wrecks of FLorida unless you happen to get there when someone drops some overboard....

Miami has some great wrecks that are often overlooked by divers:

Doc DeMilly
Blue Fire
Sheri Lynn
Almirante

RJ out of Miami Beach often schedules dives to these and other wrecks.

Thre is also a outstanding deep reef dive in Miami called "The Cascades"

My choice is be the first boat out of the gate=Largo and get on the Duane,be the first one down the line and see the majestic Goliath sneak down into her holds,or maybe a bull on the bottom .The wreck is at the right depth to run some nice bottom times,the sea life & corals are outstanding,but this is only me two cents the Grove will be there some day too!
a vid a pal shot,
http://vimeo.com/4047520

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom