Which are your favorite Florida shipwrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I do not think you are gonna get a set of dishes off the East Coast wrecks of FLorida unless you happen to get there when someone drops some overboard....

This type of negativity reminds me of the multitudes of people that ridiculed, laughed, and made fun of Mel Fisher, a past resident of Florida. Mel's plan was to find treasure off the East Coast of Florida. For thirty years, he had a croud of people around him every day telling him he was going to fail.

Did he fail. No. He found treasure worth millions off the East Coast of Florida AND offshore Key West Florida. Mel died a few years ago, but, his sons and grandson are are still finding emeralds, silver, and gold today.

Mel Fisher's Treasures

I personally admire the amazing character of Mel Fisher. One of the greatest treasure hunters of recent times.

Love the Dwayne - you had - looks like - excellent viz when you took this video - although I've found the viz on the Dwayne is often better than the Spiegal Grove - thanks for posting video!

Last edited:
This type of negativity reminds me of the multitudes of people that ridiculed, laughed, and made fun of Mel Fisher, a past resident of Florida. Mel's plan was to find treasure off the East Coast of Florida. For thirty years, he had a croud of people around him every day telling him he was going to fail.

Did he fail. No. He found treasure worth millions off the East Coast of Florida AND offshore Key West Florida. Mel died a few years ago, but, his sons and grandson are are still finding emeralds, silver, and gold today.

Mel Fisher's Treasures

I personally admire the amazing character of Mel Fisher. One of the greatest treasure hunters of recent times.

Mr Taylor;
With all due respect (and there is little of that on this board sometimes),
I must agree with Orlando Eric.
For the most part, I will find the sister ship to Mel Fishers' Atocha fully intact before I find an intact set of of China or dinnerware on a shipwreck down here.

I think I know where to find some aluminum serving platters on an Island Freighter at the bottom of the Miami River though.

I am currently seeking investors.......
In the immortal words of "The Reverend" Little Ed Pembrook from WKRP in Cincinatti....
"You just send meeeee....."

And Mr. Fisher was amazing. He saw the dream come to life.
"Today's the day!"

Chug

I agree that you will not find china. You see ... thats the whole point of the character of Mel Fisher. He beleived in himself finding treasure (gold and silver) when no one else did. Even in the face of great personal tragedy, loss, and ridicule. You first have to beleive in something before it will come true. If you beleive there is no china to be found, then in your world, I can assure you no china will be found.

I hold to the belief that there are countless unfound intact sets of china on shipwrecks. The sheer numbers of sunken ships almost makes it a certainty. Most intentionally hidden fortunes and treasures resulting from tragedy are never found. There are tonnages of lost material out there. China included.

I could care less about finding china, even though, I know it is there.

I much prefer a cheezeburger in paradise.

There sure are a lot to choose from. Collecting wrecks on video currently, while scooter free diving usually with a couple of video cameras. Here are just a few:

[vimeo]7713631[/vimeo]
The Duane off Key Largo with a nice bull shark

[vimeo]7780326[/vimeo]
The Castor off Boynton, complete with goliath groupers

[vimeo]6094145[/vimeo]
Speigel Grove off Key Largo

[vimeo]7088748[/vimeo]
Union Express also off Broward

[vimeo]5087227[/vimeo]
The Vandenberg off Key West

There are still more at:
Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

and few in the can to be processed right now, with still more left to shoot.

Cheers,
Rick Iossi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom