Which back plate and wing is right for me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only answer what BP is best for me... I cannot answer that question for you. Personally I dislike BPs for single tank diving. I find them uncomfortable and a potential safety hazard if I had to ditch the gear. I greatly prefer a soft harness (the old ScubaPro X-Tek) which is much more comfortable on MY back and has quick releases if I have to ditch the gear. In all the years I've been diving (50+) I've never experienmed a failure in the quick releases on any of my gear (although we didn't use BCDs back in the 60s and I didn't use my first one until 1989).

Is that the same as the Halcyon cinch system?

Similar; except the Halcyon Cinch allows for adjustment of both sides of the harness.

Is that the same as the Halcyon cinch system?

Halcyon system allows for adjustment of harness that might be ideal for "rental" use which would require frequent changes to all dimensions of the harness. It is a "complex" collection of parts to allow changing the whole harness dimensions. The DSS GHA is a single piece that allows one loop of the harness to be "expandable" or "slide" to allow you to get in/out of the harness easier.

The GHA uses "proprietary" holes in the DSS SS plate (not saying you couldn't tap your plate to install it).

I was hoping to pick the collective brain that is Scubaboard and settle on an option that will work best for me, given my circumstances.
As several had said, it is hard for us, from afar, to identify an option that will work best for you. So, what we can do as an alternative is share our own experiences as examples, and try to answer some of the more specific questions. To put my comments, below, in context, I favor: a) a steel backplate for single cylinder diving, b) steel cylinders (HP100 or HP120) for single cylinder diving, and c) diving with a 1mm, 3mm, or 5mm wetsuit. With a 1mm, and a steel plate, and an AL80, I need virtually no weight in salt water (or, maybe, 2 lbs added), or fresh water. With steel cylinders and a 1mm, I am negatively buoyant in fresh water. In the other wetsuits, even with a steel plate and steel cylinder, I need a bit of added weight. So, a steel plate works for me for virtually all single cylinder diving. That may or may not be the case for you.
Will a hogarthian harness be compatible with a steel tank, or is there too much weight in the tank?
Hog harness will be fine, if that's what you elect to use. Cylinder weight won't affect that.
What are the pros and cons of a hogarthian harness vs a deluxe quick release harness?
Hog harness is simple, easily adjustible, inexpensive (cost of the webbing, a waist buckle and some D-rings). Some people do not like quick releases commonly found with deluxe harnesses, as they see them as potential failure points. I do not have a particular concern about that issue, but opinions vary. I don't generally see a need for quick releases for single cylinder diving, although a case can be made that QRs are nice to have with thick exposure suits (to get out of the harness more easily). I use a single, left shoulder strap, quick release for doubles diving in thicker suits (5mm wetsuit, or drysuit.
Thoughts on the Dive Rite Transplate harness?
Nice harness, in general. I have dove Transplates on a number of occasions. I do not prefer deluxe harnesses (I have a couple, that came with used plates I bought over the years), for several reasons. a) more expensive, without providing more value; b) the pivot rings in the shoulder straps limit the placement of D-rings, at least for me; c)deluxe harnesses often come with padding, which I see as unnecessary - for me.
How much lift capacity should i be looking in the wing for somebody of my build?
There are several 'wing lift calculators' available here on SB (e.g. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html), and you should take a look at those. Also, Tobin (Deep Sea Supply owner) is very helpful with lift calculations. You might PM him at cool_hardware52. Having said that, you will probably be looking at wings in the 30-40 lb range, for diving salt water, with a reasonably thick exposure suit, and a steel cylinder.
Considering i dive a steel tank, can i still use a stainless steel backplate so i have less weights on my belt?
Yes. I do just that. In fairness, the answer is, 'It depends', on factors such as a) your inherent buoyancy characteristics, b) the exposure suit you will usually dive, c) whether you are in salt or fresh water.
Also if i was to dive without exposure protection are there any backplates that are more comfortable?
Tough question to answer. I would say any of the 'soft' plates (e.g. Dive Rite Transpac, Zeagle Express Tech plate, Apeks Travel Plate) are potential candidates for 'more comfortable'. But, others may have additional suggestions. I never dive without a full exposure suit, so it is harder for me to offer useful input on that one. I use a steel BP and it is always comfortable on me.
Could anybody recommend any good sites aside from divegearexpress.com where i could get the items i require?
As Johanan posted, look at Deep Sea Supply's website.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom