Which BC Fits Better (pics)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppie

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This thread is an extension of the thread I started a while back:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209154

I ended up ordering a medium Excursion to see how it compares to the large. This is my first BC so I'm not sure how exactly it's suppose to fit. They are both comfortable, just with the large I have to make a lot more adjustments to get it snug, especially the cumberband.

I took some better measurements.

Waist is 36 (across the naval)
Chest is 40 (across the nipples)
Height is 6'1"
Weight is 187

the other thread shows Oceanics size chart. For waist and chest, I could be either medium or large. For height and weight, I fit in the large category. Just not sure how important height and weight is for BC sizing.

I did a pool dive in the large BC and again, felt it was too big. When I was practicing takin the BC off, I noticed I could pull the cumber strap all the way past the velcro. I had about 3 inches of each side tucked into my BC. I also felt like I was tightening my shoulder starps all the way down.

The real issue was near the end of the dive when the tank started to become postive (low on air), the tank started to rise up and the first stage started to hit me in the head. I could REALLY tighten her down and prevent that. I never really experienced that before. There is a pic of the tank prior to the dive included in flickr.

Anyways, I added some pictures to my Flickr if some of you could take a look and make a recommendation on which is better. I took pics in a 5mil and without a shirt. :eyebrow: The only thing I notice is the medium without a shirt looks like it's to far up on my naval.

Also keep in mind I have a drysuit coming soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7552063@N08/sets/72157603256908114

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'm exactly your height and weight and I'm kind of that awkward inbetween M and L in a BC as well. Larges have a tendency to be at one extreme while the Mediums at the other. I prefer the medium even though its a little snug with a 7 mil. The large was too big around the waist and had a tendency to ride up even with a 3 mil. Almost too loose to dive with it in just a swimsuit.

You might want to take a look at a Zeagle Brigade or Zeagle Stilletto. They're very adjustable... it is modular, too, so the shoulders can be a different size than the cummerbund, etc. (Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear)

A Backplate/Wing setup is also good... infinitely adjustable, and some would say the only way to dive :) Look up "Hogarthian" on the board for more info.

Definately check out a backplate wing setup before you buy. Especially if you are going to be diving dry. You will have so many more options in the long run , you won't beleive it. Check out DSS or Oxycheq. Do a search and you will find plenty of opinions on both.
Kelly

You could always sell/return/trade the BC, then get a backplate and wing. You will never have this problem again

I appreciate the BWP suggestions and I really did consider it, but for now I am going to go with a regular BC. With that said, what are your thoughts on the fit? The main concern with the medium is the drysuit that I'll buy once my wife forgots how much I spent on BC/Reg/Computer. :) How much thickers is a drysuit compared to a 7mil (I'm talking about the medium).

I would not be too concerned about the overly long cummerbund in the trunks or wetsuit configuration. Most cummerbunds also have a Velcro connection that lets you take up on the gross excess to get you into a good working range.

As for the regulator coming back to hit you in the head when the tank runs light several things come to mind. How much of a backpack does that think have? with only one cam strap the cylinder may not be all that stable regardless. Most aluminum cylinders tend to be bottom heavy with thick bases. While the cylinder will become buoyant I'm thinking that it will have a valve up bias. How snug did you have the BC cinched? The upper body should have had a close but not constricting fit. The cummerbund should have been extended before before mating the Velcro. this will feel a little tight when out of the water, but will feel fine once diving. At depth it's the preload that lets the cummerbund compensate for the suit compression at depth. That's the principle of the depth compensating cummerbund.

My biggest concern is where will your weights go? I'm not a proponent of 100% integration to begin with. Secondly since you are in MI with drysuit intents there is a chance that your weight requirement will exceed the capacity of the BC. In the pictures it looks like your hips are lost under the BC so forget about wearing a weight belt comfortably or safely. This can be handled by wearing something like a DUI weight harness below the BC. Be sure to thoroughly consider your weighting plans.

Pete

I hate to say it, because you've already said you're not interested, but your last question is EXACTLY why a BP/W setup is the best answer. At least for me, there's a very big difference between the thickness of my dry suit and undergarments, and the thickness of even a 7 mil wetsuit. I need several INCHES of adjustment in a harness to go from one to the other.

In your case, you'd need to buy the large, I think, to use it with a drysuit, but the pictures, to me, say that a medium is just about perfect in your wetsuit. The problem with buying the large is that, if you can't cinch it down around you, your tank will be unstable on your back, and that makes diving miserable (or at least it did for me).

Although a harness is not trivial to adjust (takes five to ten minutes, once you've got the technique down), it IS infinitely adjustable, so you can have your gear perfect in your wetsuit, and perfect in your drysuit when you get there.

From the looks of the excess webbing that is available for expansion, I think the medium would serve you well for both wet and dry suits.

the K

Back
Top Bottom