Which BC to buy? Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaler23

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a recently certified diver and am looking to put together a basic dive package. So far I have a full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, fins, mask,etc... Also just purchased a second hand Sherwood Magnum 2nd Stage with 1st Stage, AAS, and 3 guage console. I need help in figuring out which BC is best for me. Will be pursuing my AOW in the near future, next week I am attending a Nitrox course. Will be doing a couple of dives on Fenwick Shoals in 35-40' this fall, then some deeper wreck diving after more experience, again off the Maryland, Delaware Coast, then down to the Carolinas later. I have been told the Zeagle Ranger is the way to go, others like Mares, Dacor, etc... I want weight integrated but need to hear the pros and cons, also the back inflation vs. Jacket style. Thanks for helping...

You mentioned an interest in wreck diving. If you pursue this, you will eventually use doubles and stage bottles. The best way to do this is with a backplate and wing. Coming from someone who wasted a LOTof money over the years on BCs, I recommend starting off with the backplate. You will never have to buy another one in your lifetime.

I suggest you find a shop that will rent you the equipment you mentioned and see what you think of it for yourself. We all have our preferences, just like our preferences in cars.

Now, based on your intentions to move into wreck diving and I'm guessing other more demanding diving, I suggest you take a hard look at a backplate and wing configuration. It has unlimited flexibility in adjustments, no squeeze when inflated, you can have weight integrated and also get rid of some of the weight you carry by having a stainless steel plate on your back.

Lots of info on this site regarding that subject. That "search" button is amazing...... I'd probably wait before I buy..........

Ok, you asked which BC you need to buy. Here is my advice: You need to find one that fits you both in the shop and the water. It has to be comfortable fully rigged with bottle(s). You want adjustability. The one that you want will fit your budget. If you want doubles, you want to get a BC that will accomodate doubles. You will want one that either has enough pockets or attachment points for the stuff you want to carry with you, including stage/pony bottles, lights, slates, spare mask, granola bar and the proverbial kitchen sink.

Seriously though, lurk (and search) in the BC forums, tek forum and DIR forum and then cruise your LDS. Ultimately, though, nobody can tell you which BCX you will be comfortable with. I personnaly have an Oceanic Probe and can see myself getting a BP/W at some point in the next few years. Then, I will have both a recreational and a technical rig.

Good luck in your search!

whaler
I did a lot of research last fall and price finnaly one out .here is my veiw I own a sherwood "outback "bc back style wing ,that can be changed to carry doubles .when I bought it I belived that was the way to go one bc that you could change,now almost a year later of diveing and heading for full cave .I realize that you need 2 sets of gear 1 for recational diveing ,1 for tech diveing .the ranger zeagle is a good bc ,friend has one and loves it.back inflate is the way to go much easyer to achieve super bounyancy ,compared to jacked style.

Not to be pessimistic, but here's what I learned being in your shoes a little over a year ago ... no matter how much research, looking, poking, asking and trying out you do, the chance that you will later buy something else is still very high.

I started with a Seaquest Balance. Great start. Nice unit. Will probably use it in resort diving.

But then I had to try the BP/wing, so I got one of those. But the BP I first purchased wasn't what I wanted so I sold it and got a FredT plate (nice).

etc, etc.

Good luck, but don't stress too much and dive in.

whaler23:
I am a recently certified diver and am looking to put together a basic dive package. So far I have a full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, fins, mask,etc... Also just purchased a second hand Sherwood Magnum 2nd Stage with 1st Stage, AAS, and 3 guage console. I need help in figuring out which BC is best for me. Will be pursuing my AOW in the near future, next week I am attending a Nitrox course. Will be doing a couple of dives on Fenwick Shoals in 35-40' this fall, then some deeper wreck diving after more experience, again off the Maryland, Delaware Coast, then down to the Carolinas later. I have been told the Zeagle Ranger is the way to go, others like Mares, Dacor, etc... I want weight integrated but need to hear the pros and cons, also the back inflation vs. Jacket style. Thanks for helping...
Which car should I buy?

You can't answer that anymore than I can answer what BC you should buy.

The important thing is to take your time and get one that fits in and out of the water and one you can operate with ease. You might be thinking into the future as far as features go so you’re not upgrading a lot.

Just for the record We use Zeagle Tech’s.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom