Which BC to buy? Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to dive tech and or doubles go with a BP/W. I don't dive one but if I were in yours shoes and knew I want to do some tech diving I would go with a BP.

As for the Ranger. I own a Brigade, its little brother, and love it. The Brigade is basically a Ranger harness with a 35lb bladder. If you want more info on the Brigade you will have to go to Scubatoys.com since they are made for them. Yes they have a Zeagle warranty.

If you are going to dive wrecks then you will want to be as streamlined as possible. Go with a BP & wing. It will cost you less to buy it now.

No one knows what BC for you to buy, not even the Shadow of radio fame. That's cause no one, maybe not even you, knows for sure what kind of diving you will be doing.

So all you can do is try several BCs and then pick the one you like best. Be prepared to buy something else in a few years if you change your diving. If you do then you can sell your old one. Put in that context it reduces the cost per dive, or per year significantly. Besides most divers are gear junkies anyway and change out their kit accordingly.

In my personal case after trying several BCs I decided to buy a DiveRite TranspacII. It is a BP/Wing but with a standard style harness instead of webbing. I don't regret the decision at all. This is a versatile, economical BC.

That said I will probably soon be going to a "standard" BP/Wing because I'm doing more traveling and that is lighter and more compact. Plus, my style of diving includes more and more people who have that kind of rig and it is nice for everyone to be similiarly equiped.

On the other hand if you are going to be an infrequent diver who is going to be facing open sea conditions you would be well advised to buy a comfortable jacket BC. You will find it easier to be comfortable and more stable on the surface than with a wing or a back inflation.

So, don't dally. Make a choice and dive. That is the important thing; to get in the water and have fun.

I love my B/P and wing.
I don't regret getting it one bit.
Most places don't rent these...around here anyway.
If you posted your location and asked if anyone would let you try one out I'm sure you'd get somebody willing to help you.
Even if you wanted to check other styles out do your best to see about trying one out.
They all feel different underwater so a dry one in the store wont be much help.

Back
Top Bottom