Which BP???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jpndave

Registered
Reaction score
I have yet another BP/Wing question. I'm a relatively new diver and am looking to avoid the all too common buy it/ebay it cycle. I'm trying to make a decision about which backplate/wing to buy. I'll be diving here in Utah, dry, and down south with a 3mm full wetsuit. I'd like to get into the cave and wreck diving scene also. Right now I'm leaning towards a 9lb. Fredt plate and 36lb. Halcyon wing with no sta. I'll use Halcyon's 15lb. weight integration. I will be diving with rental cylinder in the tropics, steel singles here (probably hp 100 or 120) and in the future doubles. I wear a 3mm wetsuit down south and in Cozumel it took 20lbs of lead with a "typical" BC. It may be a little less next time as that was my first trip and the wetsuit was a little big (a large then, traded for a med/tall now). That 20lbs felt neutral at 15ft./500lbs. I'm wondering if the 9lb. plate will ever be too heavy? How much bouyancy does a tri-lam drysuit add? Am I headed the right direction here?

Thanks!!

Dave

I'm also new at this and can't give you a definitive answer, but there's a good explanation of FredT's "parts" and their associated weights at http://www.aulinc.com/Htm_Files/SS Backplates.htm I don't know, maybe you've seen it already.

Perhaps you could go with the "standard" plate for diving in warm places, and then add the "heavy" STA for colder places, if you're worried about the heavy plate?

Good luck!

Chris

FretT is a member of this board and will probably post a reply.

Also, there are many fans of his backplates, so this board is a good place to get information about FredT's products.

I think that's a great plan, Dave. You won't be dissappointed with either the Fred T plate or the Halcyon wing.

Good luck.

Mike

So, are there any instances that I would need less weight than diving in Cozumel? I don't want to get the 9lb. plate and then be overweighted, but if I need the weight, I'd rather have it in the plate. Isn't that the best place to have your weight for balance? I have seen several DIR online video clips with the divers in a horizontal position hovering with no movement! That is what I'm shooting for.

How much bouyancy do drysuits typically add?

Dave

Drysuits (and their undergarments) add quite a bit of positive buoyancy. As an example, when I'm in my 3-mil shorty, I only need about 9 or 10 pounds to balance an AL80 tank. When in a dry suit, I'm up to 25 lbs for the same tank.

But this was enough garments to deal with 40-degree water. I haven't dove dry in more tropical waters, but I expect to use less undergarments, which means less positive buoyancy, and in turn, less lead required.

FWIW

I dove Coz my last trip many years ago with a T-shirt and shorts. Tank choice then was Al80 or Al80. Under those conditions my negative buoyancy is pretty much at minimum. A properly fitted 3mil jumpsuit will rarely add over a nickel to your weight belt to be neutral at 15'. If it's a farmer john type add about 8#. This assumes your wetsuit comes from a supplier other than Omar the tentmaker.

OTOH strap fit and such will vary a BUNCH between diving cold Utah water dry and warm Caribbean stuff wet or bare.

Do your primary plate for the local Utah stuff youll do the most of, which will translate well into caves. Get the straps adjusted properly and locked in at the BEST fit for you. Then get a lightweight Al or SST plate for air travel and do the same for it. Continually changing and adjusting straps is a PITA to say the least. The choice for the light plate is going to be dependent on _your_ residual buoyancy more than on the thin tropical suit you wear (or don't wear.)

Note that the buoyancy lost/gained when going from singles with a heavy STA to double LP steels is going to be pretty much a wash.

You’ll need a different wing for doubles, but until then just swap the wing on the plates as you go back and forth, no need to continually readjust webbing.

I use the same method with my weight belts. One belt for heavy suit + heavy tanks, one belt for heavy suit + light tanks, and no belt for light suit + heavy tanks. The weights are staked in place so they don’t shift around, and as long as I grab the appropriate belt, my trim comes out great. I find the convenience year to year is well worth the small $ outlay up front.

Either way get one setup now and dial it in to your diving style, then you can decide what you need for the second setup, if any.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom