Which dive is better to get your Open Waters Certificate, Bali, Lombok or Gili Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jota

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, guys. New member here.
I've done 6 immersions already, and now I want to get my Open Water Certificate.
Could you please advise which island is better and why between these options?
1. Bali: Amed o Tumbalum
2. Lombok
3: Gili Islands

I'd really appreciate your feedback.
Have a great day!

I've done 6 immersions already, and now I want to get my Open Water Certificate.
2. Lombok

Have a great day!
It really depends on your preferences. All those places have plenty of dive centers.
Definitely Amed, it's just next to Tulamben and has much better infrastructure, the only thing bothering are the tiny Jukuns (local boats) they use/have... check out Tek Deep Bali or Ocean Dive League.
I would prefere Gili Trawangan (if you enjoy a party crowd) or Gili Air (more tranquil) over Lombok or go to Nusapenida.
One recommendation for beginners: Don't do this quick courses with PADI or SSI. You will enjoy diving much more if learn proper boyancy and trim from the begining. Raid or SDI I believe have much better training standards. But of course, it always depends on the instructor. If they overweight you and make you kneel for skills they should not teach.

Hi,
The place has 0 importance. What matters is the quality of your instructor. Do not choose a DC, choose a dive instructor. Talk to him before enrolling and best would be to have his references. OW course is funny but essential because you learn all basic skills that are totally new to you. Enjoy !

Without hesitation, I would recommend the Gili Air. The instructors there teach A LOT, and finding quality courses is easy. The water is warm, almost always blue, and there are several sites where the current is minimal to non-existent. This will allow you to concentrate on skills, buoyancy, and getting comfortable in the water before learning to dive in current. You will also see tons of turtles, loads of tropicals, sharks... The Gilis really are a perfect place to train.

2. Lombok

Have a great day!
3. Gili Air.

What is wrong with Tioman which is more or less at your door step?
Pity the direct ferry from Singapore to Tioman is history.

It's should not be about the place where you learn how to dive but who you learn the necessary skills for diving with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom