Which first stage: DSV or 50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at regs and the difference between these two seems to be that the 50D swivels, has 1 less LP port, and costs $100 more. Is that it? What's the benefit of having a swivel?

Yeah, you've pretty much summed it up. To top it off the DSV has better air flow through the first stage and theoretically will breathe better at depth under load. But that is semantics. I own 2 of the DSV's and 2 of the Flathead VI's, and at 125 feet in cold Great Lakes water, there is absolutely no noticeable difference between the two, and I'd be willing to bet there would be no noticeable difference between the 50D either. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. In terms of a reg being used on a single tank, any of them have perfectly adequate hose routing, and you'll be happy with the performance of either of them. The one spot I would actually prefer the 50D's, would be on a stage bottle, where the swivel makes the hose route a little nicer.

In my opinion, the DSV for less money is the best bargain in regulators. I've said it before to my dive buddies and new divers, but if I had to choose one single regulator for all uses, single tank, double tank, deco bottle, stage bottle, deep, reef, ice diving...it would be the DSV.

I'm looking at regs and the difference between these two seems to be that the 50D swivels, has 1 less LP port, and costs $100 more. Is that it? What's the benefit of having a swivel?

Besides making a choice on what model to buy, you should make sure you have a dealer to properly service the reg..

Older zeagle models were made by apeks and the early ones that zeagle sold after they no longer were selling an apeks reg used the same parts.. so finding a dealer to service or if your cometent at service getting the parts was quite easy..

Zeagle parts are now only compatible with zeagle regs... the old models are still made by apeks and have many clones (either full or partial) out there..

The official Apeks and Zeagle regs are in the same ballpark with the clones usually cheaper...

personally I use these regulators nowadays
Air-Regulators1st
Air-Regulators2nd

I'm down to 2 zeagle first stages.. most of my other regs DR,apeks and oxycheq have mostly interchangeable parts.. I would have stayed with zeagle if they didnt start changing the parts...

Still Zeagle fans (Flathead VI's), but when we had 50D's, we both had the same failure of the high pressure O-ring between the two swiveling halves of the first stage body. No more swivels for us ... just another opportunity for failure.

Still Zeagle fans (Flathead VI's), but when we had 50D's, we both had the same failure of the high pressure O-ring between the two swiveling halves of the first stage body. No more swivels for us ... just another opportunity for failure.

the swivel is a LP turrett not HP... The only time I have seen those fail is regs that were not maintained (upon inspection the orings were usually heavily worn, usually debris like sand will do it)..
I have seen one failure that wasnt a worn o-ring, ther turrett was loose as the person loosened the wrong fitting to adjust the IP.

All my RBs use swivel first stages for the best hose routing and most of my sling bottles have them as well for the same reason...

I have two 50D's, and I can not ask for a better or more reliable regulator.

I can not comment of the DSV as I don't own one, but in general Zeagle makes very good products, and I highly recommend Zeagle regulators.

Go which ever is cheaper since they are both good. My wife and I both have DSV's. Love them and would buy them again even if it didn't come with a free safe second.

the swivel is a LP turrett not HP... The only time I have seen those fail is regs that were not maintained (upon inspection the orings were usually heavily worn, usually debris like sand will do it)..
I have seen one failure that wasnt a worn o-ring, ther turrett was loose as the person loosened the wrong fitting to adjust the IP.

All my RBs use swivel first stages for the best hose routing and most of my sling bottles have them as well for the same reason...

Ours failed within two days of each other on the same trip, in their first six months of use. At that point, the shoulder bolt between the swivel bodies should theoretically not have been touched since they were built.

PS - I stand corrected re: LP vs HP ... was some time ago.

Ours failed within two days of each other on the same trip, in their first six months of use. At that point, the shoulder bolt between the swivel bodies should theoretically not have been touched since they were built.

PS - I stand corrected re: LP vs HP ... was some time ago.

two regs purchased at the same time failing so close together is an unlikely coincidence.. there has to be a comonality between the two..

The swivels themselves are not the most common failure point on the regs.. the point I usually see failures is where the din (or yoke) connection attaches to the first stage.. This usually comes loose and gets an o-ring extrusion.. The din version fails more often because people tend to try and use the first stage to help them loosen up a stuck din fitting..

padiscubapro,
That particular o-ring extrusion is common for all din fittings, not just for Zeagle. Fortunately, it's an easy fix.

I have noticed what seems to be an inordinate number of 50D regs on ebay. Do you know if there is a valid reason for this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom