Which gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeLo

Registered
Reaction score
So for a while ive been getting into snorkeling, freediving, and recently spearfishing and ive been using some cheap u.s divers gear...and i think its time for an upgrade...the mask fills up with water easily fogs up no matter what i do so first of all im looking for a quality mask. I went to a divers direct store in my area and i didn't know which brand to choose, so i figured i'd do some online research.

Here's the link to pretty much most of the masks they had there http://www.diversdirect.com/group/Masks_ID7 and i need advice on which are a few good masks from that list.... I'm looking for high visibility, no fogging, quality (wont constantly fill with water), and of course fit which i will figure out when i try them on.

The tier of perfectly good masks is very broad some as long as it has a broad strap and and decent buckles a mask is a mask...... Except for fit and you can't deal with that on a website. Get to a dive shop with a good selection and do it right.

Once you find the right mask go online to buy a back-up if you insist.

As for the fogging try this:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_mask.html

Pete

Previous posts are correct. The only way you will find a mask that fits properly is to walk into a dive shop and put it on. The personel there should be able to help you fit a mask but if they can't, here's how you do it.

1. Fold the strap over the front of the mask so it is out of the way.
2. Place the mask on your face and inhale through your nose.
3. Hold the vacuum in the mask for several seconds. If the mask falls off it doesn't fit. If it stays on you've found your mask.

Your fogging problem has nothing to do with the price you paid for your mask. Every mask will fog unless you prepare it properly. The first thing you need to do is clean the mask after you buy it. Every mask comes from the factory with a silicone film on it. You've got to clean the entire mask, inside and out and you'll have to do it several times. Many people use a paste toothpaste to remove the silicone.

After you have removed the silicone you need to apply a good defog before each use. Most dive shops will stock a couple fo different brands. I like 500 PSI because it works whether your mask in wet or dry.

Back
Top Bottom