Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hog Harness on both my rigs, and I have dived one of them using doubles, wearing nothing more than a Speedo, booties, fins, and a hood (I get cold). I was perfectly comfortable, in regards to the harness. My dive buddies and the tech dive team we were supporting on the other hand... :wink: :eek:

69122_161400337216890_100000407737818_425519_1653998_n.jpg

Peace,
Greg

Hog harness it has no plastic buckles on it to break. I remember being preached to at one time in my life. I was told to remember the phrase " K.I.S.S." Which means keep it simple stupid. Not calling you stupid it is just an expression.:D

I have every intention on getting a HOG harness. I have just been looking around and see several several styles and was wondering if anyone uses them. I sure dont look like it. It looks like the HOG is the top choice by BP/W divers. I can now see why DSS does so well the simpler the better.

Thank you all and keep the opinions coming.

Plus whatever for the one peice harness. Try it. It will work for you. I have a bad shoulder and was going to try a rig with a buckle but decided after alot of sugestions from others to try the one peice rig. It is great, I am sure it will serve your well.

I use the simple harness, because it's what I started with and I've never seen any reason to change. I love the minimalism of it, and everything's totally adjustable. I love the Halcyon webbing (except for the H's) because to me, it's the perfect middle ground between being flexible enough to make adjustment easy, and being stiff enough to hold triglides well.

Standard one-piece hog rig ... because it's simple to use, and cheap to replace ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What Bob said. The only thing I do is get softer webbing so it is just as comfortable when I dive in just a bathing suit.

Hog Harness on both my rigs, and I have dived one of them using doubles, wearing nothing more than a Speedo, booties, fins, and a hood (I get cold)...

---

Using a hood would be less weight for travel than a wetsuit.
:shocked2:

If you give me an address, I will mail you a pair of board shorts free of charge. :D

Hog Harness on both my rigs, and I have dived one of them using doubles, wearing nothing more than a Speedo, booties, fins, and a hood (I get cold). I was perfectly comfortable, in regards to the harness.

69122_161400337216890_100000407737818_425519_1653998_n.jpg

Peace,
Greg

I initially bought a 'comfort/deluxe harness'. After 4 dives (on my tech course), I removed the comfort harness and replaced it with a simple webbing (Hog) harness. The deluxe harness was sold on Ebay (at a loss) and I've dived with the basic harness ever since.

I made my own Hog harness from weight belt webbing and some metalwork, for less than $30. I've never felt that anything more would be necessary. It is perfectly comfortable and performs excellently. It is correctly sized, so I have no issues removing and replacing it, on the boat, on the surface or underwater. I teach scuba classes in it...and have no issues demonstrating any of the OW or advanced skills.

Standard one-piece Halcyon harness for singles and doubles. I'm looking into sidemount now, and prefer Steve Bogaerts' Razor for the same reasons, one-piece harness with no breaks and minimal hardware. A couple of years back while healing from a broken arm, I tried the Golem A2, which is the closest thing I've seen to a Hog harness with breaks in the shoulder straps. It works OK, but after the arm healed and I got most of my range of motion back, I went back to the one-piece.

Last edited:
When I bought my BP&W, I was very concerned about the harness being comfortable and easy to get on. After all - how could that webbing possibly be comfortable, right!

Tobin at DSS convinced me to give the single piece HOG style harness a try. And, he was right. Its simple, its easy, and it is fast to don. Its easy to pop the shoulders on and pick up the rig. Then just one buckle and you are set to go.

In my divemaster training, I have found this very useful. My gear is so quick to put on, that its very easy to assist the students and other divers with all their buckles and straps and then go strap on my rig in just a couple seconds and rejoin them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom