Which manifold for LP50 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boriss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm building manifolded LP50's for my Choptima boat config and would like some feedback on manifolds, from those who've been around and are more knowledgeable. Before anyone says it: yes, I know they'll all work and I'm overthinking it :)

Given that modular long-necks are the most versatile, I'll be going with that setup. Can always run them as unmanifolded doubles for different gasses, side-mount, etc. I've read that @Tracy prefers his doubles to have regular sized necks, but I feel that may be more limiting as far as future flexibility. So without further adieu, here are my options in my order of preference, but please tell me if I should reconsider.

1. XS SCUBA Isolation Pro manifold
Price: $255
URL: XS SCUBA - Isolation PRO Manifold
Thoughts: I like the big handles, the 1.5 turns and the red/green indicators
1674568961305.png

2. DGX Premium Long neck
Price: $200
URL: DGX Gears Premium Dual-Outlet Long Neck Manifold with Isolator
Thoughts: workhorse, cheaper than alternatives and I have this set on HP100's. Nothing wrong with them per se
1674568797477.png

3. Thermo
Price: $225
URL: Thermo by XS Scuba Isolation DIN Manifold
Thoughts: This sells for more everywhere else. Not sure if there's anything special about Thermo and if I'm just paying for the name. The build looks the same as the XS SCUBA above, but with different handles.

1674569215216.png

Opinions? :)

You can't see the red/green indicators when they're on your back. Better off practicing with them on your back.

I will say that the XS Scuba hand wheels turn very smoothly and take fewer turns than other valves. If you dive with gloves, the larger hand wheels are nice to have. I use these same valves (split up) on my SM tanks and I order them over anything else.

I know some doubles divers like to have the Vindicator knobs on their isolator.

All three are of excellent quality. Back when a DGX manifold was $99, I would always pick that one. It is quality and was less than half the price. Now that they are within $50, I like the XS and would pay $50 more for it.

I just built one set. But isolated doubles, because I'm a newb. (two guages, no big deal)

But I did get the DGX long neck valve manifold and used the DGX bands. Just didn't bother installing the isolator. Seems like quality valves to me.

I have a set of double LP50s with the DGX manifold. No issues at all. I've heard that the Thermo manifold can be too wide for LP50s depending on the bands but I have not seen that first hand.

If you're leaning toward the XS because of the Vindicator handwheels, that's cool, but XS valves have a peculiarity with servicing (IIRC, it's a non-standard-size o-ring, but I can't be bothered to check right now), and the Vindicator knobs are available aftermarket at a reasonable price per unit. I'd go for the DGX and buy Vindicators separately.

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far!

You can't see the red/green indicators when they're on your back. Better off practicing with them on your back.

I always check while on my back, but the indicator is good prior to donning, for boat crew or buddies. An easy way to catch a potential problems. I wouldn't rely on it exclusively, as plastic can fail... but seems like a nice "backup safety."

I just want to see photos of this rig.
Sure, will be complete soon :)

I have a set of double LP50s with the DGX manifold. No issues at all. I've heard that the Thermo manifold can be too wide for LP50s depending on the bands but I have not seen that first hand.

Modern manifolds have a standard 8.5" spacing, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've actually spent many hours trying to find manifolds/bands that have a tighter spacing (like old OMS configs), but they just don't exist. I found that Fathom has bands which are closer together (SS Tank Bands - Fathom Dive Systems), but no manifold from the same company. There's also a set from DIRZone (DIRZONE) with matching bands, but they have a metric thread.

I wanted the tighter spacing, but couldn't find it. If anyone is aware of options, I'm all ears! TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom