Which Nitrox wrist dive computer to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vyper is fine for no-decompression diving but I won't deco on mine again. It gives you all your stops in one shallow stop. Made me very uncomfortable. -Wreckdiver

:eek:That is interesting to hear...does the Vytec and Cobra follow this same algo?

I was planning to purchase a Vytec to replace my current computer for my nitrox and deep(er) diving. I liked the fact that the Vytec did not go into complete lock-out if violated (gauge mode).

Could anyone tell me what a comparable Uwatec would be?
(nitrox, able to switch gas mixtures mid dive (%), non-lock out, etc.)

Thank you!
Jon

Originally posted by The Zer
Do the Stinger/Mosquito/Cobra/Vytec all use the algorythm as the Vyper, where the first stop of a decompression dive is at 14 feet?

I think so. It may not do this under all circumstances, I've only used it in computer mode that one time (enough for me!). Maybe on a deeper dive it will give deeper ceilings.

Also keep in mind that this is just my personal preference. I'm not saying the profiles aren't safe, just that I don't feel comfortable decoing on it.

I used to use an Alladin Pro. It used the Buehlman algorithm. I was much more comfortable with the profiles it gave. I would assume the newer Uwatecs give similar profiles.

Tom

Originally posted by MacLeod

ould anyone tell me what a comparable Uwatec would be?

Thank you!
Jon

None of the Uwatecs are gas switchable in water. A lot of folks seem real happy with the Vytec. Before you change your mind talk to some folks who are diving it. Perhaps it behaves better.

Tom

Originally posted by MacLeod

:eek:That is interesting to hear...does the Vytec and Cobra follow this same algo?

I was planning to purchase a Vytec to replace my current computer for my nitrox and deep(er) diving. I liked the fact that the Vytec did not go into complete lock-out if violated (gauge mode).

Could anyone tell me what a comparable Uwatec would be?

Thank you!
Jon
My DM instructor has a Vytec (and I'm also considering purchasing one). I'll see if I can take Tom's profile and run it through the dive simulator and see what the results are.

Tom, did you do this dive on air or EAN?

Originally posted by TexasMike
My DM instructor has a Vytec (and I'm also considering purchasing one). I'll see if I can take Tom's profile and run it through the dive simulator and see what the results are.

Tom, did you do this dive on air or EAN?

Air. I can't remember the exact profile. I believe it was 170/20, give or take a few feet....

Tom

and how much do you want to spend. I dive with a UWATEC Aladin Pro Nitrox now for about a year and a half and love it. But shop around, I got mine on sale 2 Christmas's ago for $399. I really like the fact it is down-loadable to my PC.... and that is how I am going to start logging my dives even more so now... with a little pen and paper notes while on the boat to add later. Just my 3 cents.....

Rich :mean:

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=441

Just read an interesting post from Rodale board...this link/review of the Uwatec SmartPro does make me think as I try to decide between it and Suunto's Vytec.

As I understood the article, it essentially says that when the microbubble algo is chosen, the screen no longer shows no deco time but instead switches to "level stops"...the Uwatec's method of presenting suggested (not mandatory) stops to limit microbubbles.

The problem with this, the author suggests, is that the diver, without the no deco time info, no longer knows his current no deco status. By not knowing this, he cannot "step ascend" to increase bottom time but still remain out of deco status.

An interesting "article". Would appreciate hearing other people's thoughts...particularly those that might actually have some experience with this new Uwatec computer.

Thanks,
Jon

I went to the Suunto site and took a look at the vytek online manual.

Per Vytek manual, page 27.
"Rather than requiring you to make stops at fixed depths, the dive computer lets you decompress within a range of depths."
Per the Vytec manual, page 28.
"The depth of the ceiling and floor will depend on your dive profile. The ceiling depth will be fairly shallow when you enter the decompression mode, but if you remain at depth, it will move downward and the assent time will increase. Likewise, the floor and the ceiling may change upwards while you are decompressing.

The Vyper manual states the exact same as above.

I would also like to see the results of a long, deep, deco dive run through the dive simulator using both the Vytec and the Vyper

the zer

I've written a post about running WreckWriter's dive profile through the simulator on the Suunto Vytec.

Click here to read the post.

As you will see from my results, the Vytec did not try to cram all of the deco into a shallow (say, 20 fsw or less) depth, but did drift as deep as 48 feet.

Looking at US Navy Tables (as printed in TDI's Deco Procedures textbook), the first stop for a 170fsw/20min dive is at 20 feet.

Essentially I was able to determine that the Vytec will compute along conservative lines, including deco ceilings.

Please jump over to the post and provide any additional discussion.

Originally posted by The Zer
I went to the Suunto site and took a look at the vytek online manual.

Per Vytek manual, page 27.

Per the Vytec manual, page 28.

The Vyper manual states the exact same as above.

I would also like to see the results of a long, deep, deco dive run through the dive simulator using both the Vytec and the Vyper

the zer

Most computers allow this but the problem is unless you deco at the level it suggests you won't know how long you're going to be there. If it saids 10 minutes at 10 feet and you stop at 20 instead, it will still show 10 minutes at 10 feet and the minutes will decrement VERY slowly.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom