Question Which one's to keep...lp 85's or hp 120's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for everyone's input. I've decided to sell them or trade for hp galvanized steel 100 with the 3/4 inch thread. They were originally setup up as doubles. I don't have the manifold, the hydro shop lost it. But I do have the band. Please make reasonable offer. I'll provide pictures if interested. Pick up in and around San Francisco Bay Area. Once again, thank you everyone.

They lost your manifold??? Are they going to pay for it?

If the 85s are painted I would not worry too much as long as they pass their visual and/ or hydros. I have many painted tanks in my inventory And as long as they are rinsed off properly they will last forever. The biggest problem I saw from working at shop and visualizing hundreds of tanks is you especially need to remove the boots especially on the 85s as they have a horrible boot design. Get a cheap plastic mallet and just make sure to pop the boots off after a weekend of diving. Also make sure any deep scratches into the paint get touched up especially after a hydro as they will need to remove the paint to stamp the cylinder.
I'm the brand new owner of 4 painted 85s (two sets of doubles)... Overall they look to be in good shape though they've definitely seen use. And there's bare steel where the last hydro was stamped. How should I touch up the paint? Just spray paint with some galvanizing?

And concerning boots--most of the people on the boat I dove on don't have boots at all, so wondering if I should remove them and just leave them off permanently. If I did that I'd need to figure out a better way to store them (on their side I guess unless there's something I could drop them in), any ideas would be appreciated.

And concerning boots--most of the people on the boat I dove on don't have boots at all, so wondering if I should remove them and just leave them off permanently. If I did that I'd need to figure out a better way to store them (on their side I guess unless there's something I could drop them in), any ideas would be appreciated.
Not sure about the paint, but the Gypsy Blood wants boots on his boat. Not saying I've ever taken them on his boat, but it's a talking to if you don't have them, lol.

I really can't use boots as they interfere with my tail weight, so it is what it is. None of my doubles have boots, maybe your longer Fabers it's not a problem. (I think they're longer?)

I always lean double against a wall if I have to put them down or better put them on a cart. It is a pain picking them off the ground so it try to move them from the van to the cart, then fill them on the cart and back to the van.

Not sure about the paint, but the Gypsy Blood wants boots on his boat. Not saying I've ever taken them on his boat, but it's a talking to if you don't have them, lol.

I really can't use boots as they interfere with my tail weight, so it is what it is. None of my doubles have boots, maybe your longer Fabers it's not a problem. (I think they're longer?)

I always lean double against a wall if I have to put them down or better put them on a cart. It is a pain picking them off the ground so it try to move them from the van to the cart, then fill them on the cart and back to the van.
Huh, yeah you're right... for some reason I had a memory of seeing all bootless doubles, but looking back at some GB photos I see mostly boots. I don't need another talking to from Jim just before a dive, so I'll keep boots on for now.

I'm the brand new owner of 4 painted 85s (two sets of doubles)... Overall they look to be in good shape though they've definitely seen use. And there's bare steel where the last hydro was stamped. How should I touch up the paint? Just spray paint with some galvanizing?
I no longer own any painted steels. Mine are all galvanized now. I do hit them with some spray on galvanize. My painted tanks were white. I'd just hit them with the scotch bright, followed by some rubbing alcohol and some Rust-o-Leum. Wasn't a perfect match, but close enough and stuck pretty well. I'd do that right after getting them back from Hydro. Held up well, I never needed to reapply.

Without the benefit of cave fills, I prefer the 120s. Once in the water, I don't notice the length. I can rest my heels on the bottom of the tank, which kind of helps me in hovering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom