Which PNG Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are starting to think about a 2-week trip in July/August 2007, and PNG is at the top of our list right now. (We'd want to spent one week on a liveaboard in PNG and the other week of our vacation topside, mainly in Australia). I've looked at posts on this board and have done some web research, and I'm still left with some questions as to what might be the best choice for us.

From my web research, it sounds like the area we might most enjoy would be around Ninigo and the Hermit Islands. It has been described as relatively 'easy' diving (no big currents) with good viz and lots of sharks, rays, dolphins, and even some whales (orcas in August/September). BUT - it sounds like the only liveaboard option for this area is the Golden Dawn, which offers only 2-week trips. I've also heard that the dives on the Golden Dawn aren't guided, which is not our preference.

We've been on 2 liveaboards so far: in August 2003 in Bali/Komodo and in April 2005 in the GBR/Coral Sea. The first had calm seas, great viz, and a guide for every 3-4 divers. The second had rough seas, variable viz, and one guide in the water with 18 people. We'd prefer an experience more like the one we had in Indonesia, but with more pelagics and slightly warmer water (80+ degrees please).

Any advice from those in the know? :wink: Many thanks!!

pigletfish:
My husband and I are starting to think about a 2-week trip in July/August 2007, and PNG is at the top of our list right now. (We'd want to spent one week on a liveaboard in PNG and the other week of our vacation topside, mainly in Australia). I've looked at posts on this board and have done some web research, and I'm still left with some questions as to what might be the best choice for us.

From my web research, it sounds like the area we might most enjoy would be around Ninigo and the Hermit Islands. It has been described as relatively 'easy' diving (no big currents) with good viz and lots of sharks, rays, dolphins, and even some whales (orcas in August/September). BUT - it sounds like the only liveaboard option for this area is the Golden Dawn, which offers only 2-week trips. I've also heard that the dives on the Golden Dawn aren't guided, which is not our preference.

We've been on 2 liveaboards so far: in August 2003 in Bali/Komodo and in April 2005 in the GBR/Coral Sea. The first had calm seas, great viz, and a guide for every 3-4 divers. The second had rough seas, variable viz, and one guide in the water with 18 people. We'd prefer an experience more like the one we had in Indonesia, but with more pelagics and slightly warmer water (80+ degrees please).

Any advice from those in the know? :wink: Many thanks!!

Hello pigletfish, there is always somebody to dive with you on the Golden Dawn, usually the Capt or 1 of the crew. If you want to dive solo, you are allowed if you have sufficient experience. By your description of what your looking for, the Ninigos trip should be a good one. I haven't been on that itinerary yet-next trip-but I have been on GD 4 times and prefer it to any other boat. Food is top quality, healthy, hearty fare and the boat is very stable, the only LB I know of with active stabilizers. It's a very comfortable boat in every respect and is run most of the year by the owner/Capt Craig de Wit. Happy trails, -Andy

P.S., I think you should extend the trip to 3 weeks, if you really want a land excursion too. Having never been there for less than 20 days, the plane ride is long enough that it's hard to imagine it's worth it for less. Plus, the diving is that good, none better. And I always see lots of big stuff in PNG. And this after 2 Komodo trips. 2 weeks in PNG will fly by... -Andy

I have also spent much time in PNG. I like the areas around New Britain and New Ireland islands the best. There is a lot of exploratory diving being done on the NB south shore by the boats run by Alan Raabe (FeBrina and Stardancer). Having spent much time on both, I will say I like the layout and comfort factor on the 'Dancer the best. If you can get an exploratory trip, you will be the first divers on many areas (with naming rights to good rees).
Any boat you decide on, PNG is a winner! I have found nowhere in the Pacific I like as well. And I agree, spend as much time there as you possibly can. It is a long way if it is less than two weeks.

I would echo Silent Running's comments. The Golden Dawn is a wonderful boat. It's comfortable, intimate, has a great crew and serves fantastic food. On our trip Craig dove at least 3 dives a day and you were welcome to follow him or not. If you wanted a guide and Craig wasn't going, James would always dive with you. James had wonderful eyes for the small stuff.

Silent Running & Rueben Cahn, thanks for the feedback on the Golden Dawn. As much as we'd love to take 3 weeks, I'm not sure if we could swing that right now, so we'll have to see...

Allison Finch - what types of marine life do you typically encounter around New Britian and New Ireland? Sharks? Dolphins? Rays? Whales? Tropical fish of particular interest and/or abundance?

Thanks!!

Hi Piglet fish
My report on New Britian diving with FeBrina is here with photos in my gallery - no rays, lots of sharks and barracuda and lots of small stuff which I have not photographed because I need a perscription mask to see it properly! No big currents and excellent visibility.

Alison

pigletfish:
My husband and I are starting to think about a 2-week trip in July/August 2007, and PNG is at the top of our list right now.....

Just to add my two cents worth. My wife and I were on the Star Dancer in 2000, and couldn't say enough good things about it. We are only sorry that we didn't stay longer, either on the boat, or enjoy the area on land as well. Back then they were on an itinerary from Rabaul, but I understand that they leave from Walindi now as well, with a different itinerary.

As others have said, you can't go wrong in PNG, and are guaranteed to love it. For my money, when you are going that far, a "luxury" live aboard like a Dancer boat is the way to go.

Enjoy!

You can't go worong with Star Dancer or FeBrina they dive Kimbe Bay, Witus and Fathers which I can tell you is some of the best dive sites in the world.

Even better is that these boats don't use anchors on the reefs all dive sites have moorings! So untouched reefs remain untouched! With over 130 moorings in the area Kimbe bay Witus and Fathers you won't feel guilty about large anchors destroying reefs!

Kimbe Bay is definately easy diving, currents are not an issue, viz is great, dolphins are resident in the bay and orcas are resident in the Bismarck Sea! Walindi Resort has had many encounters with the orcas and their day boats have nets which hang off the side of the boat where the guests hold on to allowing dolphins and orcas to swim right beside you.

Kimbe Bay/Fathers/Witus has 30 degrees celcius waters very nice! and yes there are sharks, this area does not have problems with fisherman like in Asia often the only boat you may encounter are the loacals in their canoes paddling out to trade when the boats go near land.

You won't have any regrets diving with either Star Dancer or FeBrina

I hope this helps

This thread has been great for helping me with my trip planning. I am trying to go from walindi > Rabaul aboard Febrina at the end of June of next year. I have had a few people discourage me from going there at this time because of the trade winds and the dive conditions associated with them. Does any body have any thoughts on this (sorry to hijack the thread, but i believe this is pertinent for the july august time period as well)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom