Which Reg? Sherwood Or Dive Rite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the sherwood Maximus in warm water [no colder than 52 degrees] It is tuneable @ depth with a flow control valve on the right side and you can open the vinturi with a twist of the valve on the left.
Don't really know if the blizzard has the same features, but I can say I have not found any problems with this maximus reg. and would recomend Sherwood to anyone.

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up ordering the Dive rite as there wasn't much of a price difference. My LDS told me not to bother getting the Environmental seal kit as it is not needed and wouldn't help much. The more i read on here the more I am wondering if i should have gotten it. Is it possible to add the cold water kit later if i need it? The guy at the LDS was the manager and does all the servicing on the regs and has the dive rite reg himself and dives in the same conditions that I will be and he has not had a problem.

I don't know what your waters are like, but around here I'd say it's a good idea to have the enviromental seal kit. I've dove in vis that ranged from the mask to maybe at best 30 feet and that's not common. 5 - 15 is common vis and I believe the sealed unit is better in the long run, however I have seen many non sealed regs work just fine year after year for what it's worth.

For those that say they dove a Sherwood and had it breathe hard, probably did and it was probably the Brute. They do breathe hard, especially as you near that 500 psi mark. My Blizzard has been to 122 feet and to me it breathed the same there as it did at the surface, and the same down to 300 psi as well. Never iced up in temps down to 36 degree's so I'm happy with it.

IMO I believe a sealed unit with cold water kit is the only way to fly, but then I dive all year round in poor vis. In your area I'd add the cold water kit asap.

Cancel that order if you can and get the seal. Yes, you can add it later, but WHY. Buy it that way in the first place. It's not that much more money, and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Dave83:
Thanks for the input guys, I ended up ordering the Dive rite as there wasn't much of a price difference. My LDS told me not to bother getting the Environmental seal kit as it is not needed and wouldn't help much. The more i read on here the more I am wondering if i should have gotten it. Is it possible to add the cold water kit later if i need it? The guy at the LDS was the manager and does all the servicing on the regs and has the dive rite reg himself and dives in the same conditions that I will be and he has not had a problem.

I got them to switch it to the environmentally sealed version. They didn't think i needed it but for an extra 40 bucks I figured why not. That 25 dollar price is US i think.

Perfect, now you can go from the Caymans to the Artic, and never worry again.

What method does dive rite use to seal their first stages? Is it silicone oil or a dry seal like apeks? I am just wondering how much it will increase the cost of servicing.

Dave83:
What method does dive rite use to seal their first stages? Is it silicone oil or a dry seal like apeks? I am just wondering how much it will increase the cost of servicing.
Not sure what they seal them with but the nice thing about Dive Rite regs is the service interval is every other year instead of annually (see owners manual for details).

For what it's worth, the dive instructor I trust the most uses the dive-rites. He uses them in excess of 300' feet doing technical, trimix, deep, long, cave dives. Last time I was in his shop he let me try a set. They performed as great as my Atomics (which aren't cheap or easy to work on). I bought 2 regs that day and I'm buying another set for my 14 year old son tomorrow. Also, if you are into maintaining your own equipment, dive rite parts are much more accessible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom