Which Scuba manufacturers do not restrict warranty to first time owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another reason to consider Hog - clearly a company that has decided that better business means providing value to the consumer and standing behind their product irrespective of who owns it.

Scuba manufacturers drive to protect their "brand" by controlling every aspect of its sale, rep to customer. Scubapro (for example) will not sell directly to any business other than a FULL SERVICE dive shop. They require pictures and VIN numbers off of compressors for example, and a rep contact. Additionally, they require the dive shop to sign a 2in thick contract that has very specific rules for sales and marketing, resales, and pricing, etc. They require a $10,000.00 "good faith" initial investment or "buy in". The manufacturers do not want to "dilute their brands" by allowing open sales, eBay or other second hand market sales, etc. Part of the way they "encourage" customers to go to dive shops is by withholding warranties to original purchasers and repairs THRU AN APPROVED DIVE SHOP. The other end of the equation is the dive shop, who has signed the contract and plunked down big bugs to be a player. The dive shop does not make money in repairs, fills, or classes. They make money by generating NEW divers, by convincing these new divers they need NEW gear to be safe, and by creating a culture of absolute customer loyalty to belong to the elite gang who taught them to dive. It is a carefully crafted marketing system designed to funnel business directly to the manufacturer, via a well controlled system of dive shops. Most students and divers have NO CLUE why they have to go thru the dive shop, why the pressure to stay with their certifying dive shop, or why there is no warranty or repairs outside of the dive shop.

The new divers are younger, faster, more tech savvy, and less patient. As new generations come into the diving community, and buying shifts to the web, it will be interesting to see how this affects the manufacturer and shop ability to keep a tight (and secretive) hold on the marketplace. Folks like me (blueorbdiving.com) who want to do business in diving sales are relegated to buying and selling used equipment, and dealing with small upstart manufacturers.

Hope that helps explain "the game". I am sure this post will catch hell for spilling the truth, but it is time! Good luck.

"Be the sea"

Last edited:
Scubapro (for example) will not sell directly to any business other than a FULL SERVICE dive shop. They require pictures and VIN numbers off of compressors for example

So, how does LeisurePro get to be an authorized ScubaPro dealer? I don't think they are a full service shop. I could be wrong, though.

So, how does LeisurePro get to be an authorized ScubaPro dealer? I don't think they are a full service shop. I could be wrong, though.

Perhaps Scubapro made an exception for the largest scuba retailer in the USA. After all, they can do about anything they want that is not illegal.

It is great that a company such as Hog would consider the idea of offering a warranty to the second owner...they must have faith in their product. If the second owner likes the product perhaps they will buy that product new next time.

Unfortunately I think many manufactures pay more attention to the first sale where they receive revenue. They make zero dollars from a second sell so they take the approach of no warranty; it would be like giving money away. I think if more companies took Hog's approach it might not be giving money away but advertising a good product and building future customer loyalty...and divers are noted for they brand loyalty.

Just my two cents

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 09:09 AM ----------

Scuba manufacturers drive to protect their "brand" by controlling every aspect of its sale, rep to customer. Scubapro (for example) will not sell directly to any business other than a FULL SERVICE dive shop.

"Be the sea"

Oh no!!!

Don't tell my Scuba Pro dealer' wife that he has to be a FULL SERVICE dive shop and not operate out of his home, she will make him clean out his stock and inventory and make herself a craft room.
:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom