Question Which SSI speciality to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see. So you are saying that the OP is lying about how he was instructed. Why would he do that?
No, there are always personal interpretations and understandings that aren't always in phase with what actually happened or what the other party did actually said or did.

Your word is not a source. Please point to SSI standards.

I am sure you can do a better job than a senior citizen like me can do. Let your fingers do the googling.

I am sure you can do a better job than a senior citizen can do. Let your fingers do the googling.
so this is another Shearwater implementing conservatism thing?

I already downloaded the SSI standards a moment ago. Nothing in there requiring that students perform all skills neutrally buoyant and trimmed. There is a repetition of hovering several times in open water, but that's it.

When I crossed over in 2018, the IT who did my crossover couldn't even perform all skills neutrally buoyant and trimmed. He was impressed by the fact that I could (a low bar in my opinion).

I would absolutely LOVE it if SSI required all skills to be performed neutrally buoyant and trimmed, but requiring that would result in a massive hemorrhage of instructors/dive centers crossing over to agencies that allow them to teach mostly on the knees.

Please don't make stuff up that you cannot backup. While I wish you were correct, you are not. You are just confusing people who don't know better.

I am required to teach skills while neutrally buoyant per the last update I received last summer and I actually have to demonstrate that I can do it myself to the regional director. I have to send him a video showing me doing it.

Same thing about primary donate.

I am required to teach skills while neutrally buoyant per the last update I received last summer and I actually have to demonstrate that I can do it myself to the regional director. I have to send him a video showing me doing it.

Same thing about primary donate.
Please share that update or point to where it is found.

No, there are always personal interpretations and understandings that aren't always in phase with what actually happened or what the other party did actually said or did.
Ah, so the diver was unable to tell whether he was kneeling on the floor or floating in mid water. He was actually neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim, but he "misinterpreted" that and thought he was kneeling on the pool floor. Got it.

Ah, so the diver was unable to tell whether he was kneeling on the floor or floating in mid water. He was actually neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim, but he "misinterpreted" that and thought he was kneeling on the pool floor. Got it.

Were you there to witness it or just taking what somebody you apparently don't know and never met said as the absolute truth in absence of the other party?

Of course the answer is no because you cannot. There is no such requirement.

I just went back through all emails from info@reply.divessi.com. No mention of requiring open water to be taught neutrally buoyant.

Listen, I wish it was true, but it isn't. Please stop making false claims.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom