Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Full suit - 3mm

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Full suit - 5mm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curtissqd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I followed the discussion on wetsuits however I have to make sure I have the right ones - especially for my boys & my wife (so as not to have complaints later).

Right now I have the following choices:

1. Shortie (what I use in Belize - was perfect)
2. Farmer Johns and jacket - 3 & 5 MM
3. Exposure suit - my wife & sons used this in Belize (was fine)

(I will leave off my drysuit - definitely think it is overkill).

Should I take them all - I hate packing too much - in fact will try to do carryon if at all possible.

Cheers,
Curtis
:)

Curtis,

I believe Cozumel is very similar in temp, to Belize. I'd say bring what worked in Belize. I dive in cold water and am comfortable diving simply in shorts, or worst case at night, a 1.5 mil top.

Bring the minimum, you can always rent one for the week there if you feel the need.

I am going next week, I'll tell ya how it was. When are you going?

what is the water temperature like right now. When I was there last week it was 82 degrees. You might be perfectly comfy wearing a shorty in that, but your wife or kids might prefer a different form of exposure protection.

I was happy in a 3 mill jumpsuit last week. My boyfriend wore the same thing and was a little chilly.

By the way, what is an exposure suit? I'm picturing white coer-alls and a plastic helmet.

I just got back yesterday. Water was anywhere from 82 to 85. I was very comfortable in my 0.5 mil skin. Currents were kind of strong. Make sure your skin is protected and wear gloves in case the currents cause you to brush against some fire coral. I'm paying the consequences right now for not wearing gloves.

curtissqd once bubbled...
1. Shortie (what I use in Belize - was perfect)
2. Farmer Johns and jacket - 3 & 5 MM
3. Exposure suit - )

I'd take the exposure suit (if that is same as a skin) and also a 3mm shorty.

The exposure suit will protect from sunburn, fire coral, and jellyfish. Add the 3mm shorty if you are a bit cold -- which might happen if you are doing multiple dives daily, even in 82-84F water.

jgreenwo once bubbled...
Make sure your skin is protected and wear gloves in case the currents cause you to brush against some fire coral. I'm paying the consequences right now for not wearing gloves.
Some would say that you are paying the consequences of not controlling your buoyancy and body position:whack:

p.s. I do wear gloves most of the time myself. Better safe than sorry.:D

Typically, the only reason we suggest wearing gloves is due to having cold hands. Do not bring gloves to protect yourself from the reef, use your BC for that.

I am diving there next week (Sat), and would be kinda down if every diver breaks the coral due to poor bc control.

Have a great day!

Raviepoo,

I do the best I can to leave it as it was when I got there. I stay off the bottom, stay several feel above reefs, and have excellant BC control.
I wear only shorts, so I make sure I avoid contact with anything; and if I do hit something, it's painfully abvious, so I am really motivated to stay away from the reef bottom.

I don't wear gloves, and don't bring a knife. I figure it helps me stay "honest" and off the reef.

I'll tell ya how I do in about 2 weeks...

For what its worth, I found I needed more temp protection in Cozumel than some other places - probably because of the fact the dives are all drift dives - you can be a lazy pig and just fly along - fantastic, really. I found myself having to work a lot less hard than on non-drift dives, and since the dives aren't too deep, you can stay down a long time. But, I did notice I got a little cold with a 3 ml shortie sometimes - esp. multiple dives. I tend to need less protection than most people, so a full lenght 3ml would probably be good.
Also, you can get stung by funny things there. I am not sure what got me, as I stayed completely off the coral, but I have a permanent black mark along my waist now, which was an open sore for 3 weeks - I think I got something up the leg of my shorty (a bit loose) maybe a jelly or something - so I now have this weird mark. Diver's tattoo, I guess.

Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom