which wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus:
how about the gold core suits for this application ?

Regaurdless of the lining most scuba suits will never have the degree of strech or softness of neoprene that a freediver needs. freediving suits are made to be soft, stretch and very flexable. scuba suits just don;t cut it.

I don't know what kind of water temp you are in but I freedive in B.C. so it's pretty cold. I use a J-type oneil and what I like about it is that it has a a 6mm core so theres a vest inside and then 3mm every where else and I zip my inside hood flap in. If you looking for one with a built in hood they offer the same design with one. It is a very comfortable suit for all seasons, I have yet to get cold.

I highly recommend www.diveskin.net.

I have been looking into this recently and have decided on their Black Seal wetsuit, custom fit at no extra cost.

After much deliberation I got a custom fit 3mm Heiwa Neoprene smooth cell out/nylon in, attached hood, 2 piece, high waist, wetsuit with water seals on the wrists and ankles for $199.00 shipped.

Spiros (aka diveskin.net) is a great guy, and everyone says that his suits rival the quality of Elios at a better price. I cannot say one way or the other as my suit is in the mail, but I would definitely recommend him on his customer service. He makes all of his suits out of "high quality" Heiwa neoprene and custom fitting doesn't cost extra.

For you I would recommend a 5mm, 2 piece, custom fit, high waist, nylon out/open in, with attached hood. The custom fit improves warmth greatly, as well as water seals on wrists and ankles, and open cell directly against the skin. This all stops water transfer and keeps the same layer of water against the skin during the whole dive. So, although the suit may sound thin, it may actually be too warm. But the hood can make a great difference on warmth, and if you are too warm you can always flood the suit or remove the hood. Also, the 2 piece and high waist combination only minimally restricts your breathing.

If anyone has any specific questions about a freediving wetsuit feel free to PM me as I have just spent hours upon countless hours researching them, and I feel that I have a pretty good grasp on them. If I can't help you I know people who can. Thanks!

Till Later...

~James

Back
Top Bottom