Whistle Placement - Opinions? DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Divers,

a good whistle is an important safety tool and e.g. in Spain mandatory. But my problem is the placement within the hogarthian rig.

GUE says a whistle can be stored in a pocket or inside the wetnotes. Well, no instant access...

I think, a whistle should be readily available. Warning a boat or seeking for instant help needs on time whistling.

Most divers attach the whistle to the bcd inflator or the shoulder ring. But there is some interference with some boltsnaps (stage, reg, light, ...).

Since the boltsnap on the longhose does not disturb in any way, I thought why not tie the whistle in the same manner to the backup reg. Yesterday I tried it in water - works well.
IMG_20240310_104422~3.jpg

Now im courious about the communities opinion.

Have save dives,
André

Warning a boat or seeking for instant help needs on time whistling.
My feeling is a DSMB is a far better warning or signaling device, so "instant" whistle deployment isn't a priority for me.

We were taught to have it on the inflator hose when doing our night diving courses. We just bungeed it on the hose.

A whistle is one of those pieces of safety gear I prefer to have remain with me if I should have to ditch my scuba rig. Keeping a whistle in my wet suit thigh pocket works, for example.

rx7diver
If you have to ditch your scuba rig, you’re already in deep Kimchee. I doubt if having a whistle in your pocket will help much at that point. OTOH, having something you are likely to need in the active triangle of yout torso in most situations will be helpful. I’ll go on diving with a whistle on my inflator hose for the BCD and my tightly rolled sausage close by on a bolt snap and D ring at my hip.

But then again, stick to your training. If you can find what you need because repetition breeds familiarity and familiarity breeds success in a stress situation. What works for you… works for you.

🐸

If you have to ditch your scuba rig, you’re already in deep Kimchee. ...
If you decide it's best to ditch your scuba rig, to facilitate making a long surface swim back to relative safety, for example, then you want to have some of your safety gear remain with you, IMHO. For me, this means keeping your whistle and dive knife and mirror and compass (maybe)--you know, gear you would have with you if you were snorkeling/skin-diving.

ETA: Personally, I have a Storm Whistle attached to the corrugated hose of my BC, and another that I wear around my neck, tucked inside my 2-3mm wetsuit jumpsuit (since my wetsuit doesn't have pocket).

rx7diver

My feeling is a DSMB is a far better warning or signaling device, so "instant" whistle deployment isn't a priority for me.
Both is in Spain mandatory...

I used to attach the Whistle to the DSMB. In trouble you have literally both in hand.

When diving with liftbag in the storage pack and the spool separate in the pocket, the whistle has to be placed somewere else.

Pocket with boltsnap doesn't seem to be bad - reaching is a matter of seconds in warm water. With drygloves, some waves and of course some hassle might be a reason for not using the whistle at all. Because it is out of the way and mind.

For me a whistle lives in right pocket.

I'm not sure in which scenario I would need the whistle *fast*. Probably most useful if separated from a boat in limited visibility (fog) or a sleeping boat captain (sigh...). For 90% cases DSMB or (backup) light seem more useful.

I keep my whistle in my left thigh pocket which I where I keep the rest of my emergency gear ... garmin inreach mini2, nautilus marine rescue GPS, backup DSMB, and a bigblue strobe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom