White Pond in Concord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Anyone dived there? I'm looking for a good training site closer to home...been driving to Hathaway Pond in Barnstable and that's just not fun this time of year.

Here's a map:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_pond/dfwwhitc.pdf

What about Mirror Lake in the old Fort Devens? Shoot out Rt. 2 - much closer than Hathaways. Though I don't know what the deal is on access. I have only been there with instructors who had keys to the gate. I know they open for the public at certain times as well. I would check it out - good conditions for training - cold/bad vis/mud bottom, etc.

--Matt

nite_diver:
there is no diving allowed period at mirror lake at the old ft. devens

Good. Who needs it? I dove there once with open water students and it was one of the worst sites I've ever been to. It instantly silts up and there's nothing to see in there. From what I understand, you need special permission to be in there, and it takes calling ahead and some planning. Soooo not worth it for 3 feet of vis and random miltary ordinance at the bottom.

DUI did a DOG rally there once and never went back. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because it was so sucky.

nite_diver:
there is no diving allowed period at mirror lake at the old ft. devens

I am not sure about the public accessibility hours but there are dive classes there all the time. I had a class there this year. It's a very busy spot for dive classes from Northeast Scuba for example.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I am not sure about the public accessibility hours but there are dive classes there all the time. I had a class there this year. It's a very busy spot for dive classes from Northeast Scuba for example.

--Matt

i also did my open water dive with huffie from northeast dive shop at mirror lake. it suck. i will have to agree with peacedog about all the crap that is in there and who's to say there isn't still some live ammo in there. if it was busy there it was huffie with his dive class instead of taking them to the ocean to be certified. the state police are very strict about NO DIVING there to the public.

nite_diver

bikeflip22:
why would u wana dive in a pond anyways :\

Because they are excellent places to do training dives and you don't have to lug double 130s, an al40, and an argon bottle down a hill and a pile of rocks. Plus, you can quickly get to some reasonable depth to work on liftbag deployment, mid-water skills (with no visual references), etc, etc....

It's not about the pond, it's about working on the skills for the bigger dives.

ooo

i'd like to dive in the ocean up here some day :(
but i dont have my own equipment, and undersea divers charges 50 dollars to join there club for a lifetime, and 88!! dollars to rent out friggen equipment, ABSOLUTLY rediculous, without 6 dives i could have bought my own bcd and decent reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom