Whites latex seal kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems that my whites legend drysuit might need new seals in the near future, so I thought I'd look into the seals that Whites has, the ones with the dry adhesive technology. The only issue is that they cost about $60 for a pair of wrist seals and $60 for the neck. Is it really worth spending that much on these seals, when I can get plain glue-on latex seals for half the price of Whites' ones?

Last edited:
I don't know about others but I replaced my neck seal on my Whites Catalyst with off-the-shelf seals and adhesive.
I used this stuff PB300 from OS Systems Drysuit Repair

Last edited:
after taking the White's DS repair course and replacing both types, I highly recommend the White's seals. they are by far and away the easiest to replace seals on the market. And the adhesive they use allows reconditioning of the seal using silicon (McNett seal saver). Considering that you can do it yourself for $120-$140 for the seals is nothing compared to what a shop will charge you to replace them with standard seals and glue, probably ~$200 or more.

Given my experience, and a similar report here (that the White's proprietary latex seals fail early, and do so by disintegrating) I had my seals replaced the usual way, with normal seals.

OK, so the seals are known to disintegrate, that's not a good thing. Isn't the quality of these seals similar to regular latex seals? I bet that the seals are a breeze to install, but how durable is the dry adhesive technology compared to regular glue?

Meesier42 - thanks for the tip about seal saver. Any other tricks you picked up in the DS repair course you would like to share? :wink:

The seals used for the self adhesive kits are the exact same seals that we use for a factory install
If your seals are disintegrating it is generally caused by some form of contamination.

If it it goes gummy: The most common cause at this time of year is gasoline from all the boats on the water.
However anything petroleum based can cause it, Including things as simple as hair products.

If it cracked and discolored (Dry Rot): A common cause is ozone exposure which can come from any kind of engine, As well as many pools.
Sun exposure and contact with metal (hangers) will also cause this effect.

Depending on the amount/type of contact with petroleum, A liberal application of talc can draw it out.
Talc, Then Rinse, Then Seal Saver.

For dry rot, obviously keep your suit away from ozone causing things and out of the sun
Use your seal saver religiously

So the seals are identical to those originally installed on the suit. Good. What about the dry adhesive stuff? Will it bond the seal to the suit just like regular drysuit glue?

When installed correctly the dry adhesive glue is just as effective as traditional liquid glue systems.

Seems you already used the dry adhesive....Its the only thing we use on repairs now. The seals themselves are the same as anyone uses. They come from Seamtite or something, and almost everyone uses them on their suits.

The only difference is the glue. We can change out a neck and wrist seals in less than an hour...the suit can be in the water right then as well. Tough as nails, easy to install, and quick to dry. Just be sure to not burn thru the seals:wink:

Back
Top Bottom