Whites Mk3 or Fourth Element Arctic for ice diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mk2 works fine for me, I imagine with the mk 3 would as well.

I'm really looking at a comparison of the two, pros and cons, if any one knows. I have both. The Mk3 I've only used once, for 40 degree water. It was very warm but took a lot of lead to sink. I mostly use the 4th element year round, which is less bulkier and buoyant than the MK3, but not sure if it will be warm enough for ice cold water. Anyone?

I have been in 38-37F waters with the Fourth Element. But for me going in just Arctic's I would freeze I get cold easily. When I went I Used the Artcics and XT250's and I was great perfectly warm once my lips were numb. Dive was not long only about 35min so short and depth was only about 15ft.

I went ice diving this past weekend at Square Lake in Minnesota. The water temperature was 34 degrees (F). I wore the MK1 and MK2 undergarments (without the MK2 jacket), and the MK3 Glacier socks with a pair of medium weight Smartwool socks underneath. I was very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom