Who has been to St. Lucia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in 2003. Personally I loved it. Hope to get back there someday. Wouldn't dive with Sandals though. I wrote a trip report with a few underwater pictures if you're interested: St. Lucia Trip Report

LaserDoc,

We have been to St. Lucia several times and it's a great place to visit and dive. Mostly wall diving. We stayed up north (Castries/ Gros Islet) the first time, but prefer the southern area down by Soufriere, as the northern area is getting quite crowded (but still fun).

In the south, Anse Chastenet is a nice resort and has good diving. For an exotic resort try Ladera up in the mountains; only 3 walls, the fourth is open to the mountain/volcano (they work with Anse Chastenet (black sand beach) or Jalousie Hilton (white sand beach) for diving).

Depending on which airport you land at, try to get the water taxi to your hotel. The roads on St. Lucia are like a rollercoaster, up and and down; round and round, due to the mountain terrain. The water taxi is a lot quicker.

I understand that there are a number of nice resorts in the Marigot Bay area now also. Anyway you look at it, it will be a great time.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. Hope this helps: http://www.stlucia.org/planner/default.asp

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

Mares man 1
Actually we are staying at Marigot Bay. I cashed in some Delta points to get there. Not sure which airport we fly into. Do you know how to find a water taxi and how much they run?? Did you guys rent a car or jeep while on the island?/

Mares man 1
Actually we are staying at Marigot Bay. I cashed in some Delta points to get there. Not sure which airport we fly into. Do you know how to find a water taxi and how much they run?? Did you guys rent a car or jeep while on the island?/

While not a super abundance of good sites, the ones I dove (back in 2001) were excellent. Stayed/dove at Anse Chastanet. Most of the sites are very nearby. Profusion of sponges and hard corals, in great shape. Lots of fish, though not much big stuff. Good viz. Warm water (Low 80's in August). Not much current (except at Superman). Very good night dives.

The southern end of the island is really beautiful. . If you have the least bit of an adventurous spirit (not much is required) you should rent a jeep and take the coastal road down from the north. There are great ocean views from the road that winds along the cliff faces. Some of the views from the road leading down to Soufriere are very memorable.

Enjoy

laserdoc:
Mares man 1

LaserDoc,

Marigot Bay is supposed to be a very nice place to be now. Diving is close by and I agree with Peter's comments. Try to talk to the resort about the water taxi. We took them the last few times we were there and it ran about $20 with bags before tip. Much better than the ground taxi's unless you like rollercoasters on bad (but scenic) roads.

Same reason we did not rent a car/jeep, bad winding roads. The water taxi also get you a great view of the beauty of St. Lucia.

Have fun,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1:14:

I spent two weeks in St. Lucia over the New Years holiday. As far as diving locations/ops, Marigot Bay is a great location. I dove 6 dives with Dive Fair Helen (located in Marigot Bay). Owner Andre is a marine researcher and runs a top flight ops. Also, you are only a 10 minute boat ride to the best southern diving locations.

As far as renting a jeep, do so if you want to do alot of individual exploring. The roads are in decent shape, but they are very winding as the island is extremely moutainous. Also, Marigot Bay is away from most of the dining areas so if you plan on eating out alot it may be cheaper than using taxis. Marigot Bay is physically a stunning area.

If you are interested in excursions, we were very dissapointed with the horseback riding as they take you on country (dirt) roads all the way to the beach, and then you spend more time off the horse at a local beach bar than on.

Tall ship excursion was highly enjoyable (prefered to the catamaran as you get quite a bit more room to roam). Take off from Rodney Bay, sail all the way to the south (great views of the island) decent rum punch, and good tunes. THen you go the the volcano and waterfalls, back to the boat for lunch, snorkeling and sail back. It is a 7 hour cruise and lets you see quite a bit for a decent price.

All in all, we had a great relaxing time in St. Lucia. Once again, I cannot say enough good things about Dive Fair Helen.

We are staying at the cottages in Marigot Bay. Can you get a water taxi from the airport to the Bay??
What did the tall ship cost you guys?

Back
Top Bottom