Who has dived with Squalor Divers on Isla Mujeres?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone dived with Squalor Divers on Isla Mujeres and what was your experience? This will be our second time back to Isla Mujeres, we've dived with Enriques Unique Dives (was not impressed with his safety measures), and Aqua Adventures (a PADI shop which was what we wanted, felt safe with them, however the timed dives and diving the same dive sites got old really fast) hoping for a dive op that will let you dive your computer and air and some better variety to dive sites.

Hey Mike, I've dove with Squalo both times I've been to Isla Mujeres and had a good experience--I liked them enough the first trip that I spent a bit of time seeking them out the second when I couldn't remember their name and they had changed locations so were difficult to find. I can recall being able to give a lot of input on what sites we were going to go to based on what I wanted to see (with agreement from the other divers of course)...in fact the first trip they went out of their way to get me to Sleeping Shark Cave as I really wanted to see batfish as they had recently been sighted there. They even remembered that two years later when I went to dive with them again. I don't remember specifics on "make sense"-type dive times, but I don't remember any hard and fast time restrictions (otherwise I wouldn't have gone with them again!). I also found the divemasters to be very capable as well as knowledgeable about marine life and where to likely spot things. I remember they also cut me a good deal on multiday diving combined with the whale shark trip and, of course, I always love a bargain! If I'm back there again I'd definitely dive with them again. When are you going? @July-@Sept is whale shark season around Isla Holbox and, although you can only snorkle with them, it's a great experience..every time I've gone we had to have seen at least 20 each time.

I did seven tanks with them July 2011. I don't think they were doing rigid timed dives by default. They did try to split up groups based skills and experience but you never know who is showing up on the boat on any given day and they will take anyone who can pay including Discover SCUBA divers. I checked my logs and bottom times varied between 45 and 55 minutes over seven tanks. You could find yourself diving with a group that has no dive computers and wastes their air in ten minutes or someone that can go 80 minutes. It's really a matter of luck on who's on the boat any particular day I think. They seemed reasonably safe and their prices were competitive with the other shops on IM. Overall I had a good experience with them.

Wow, thanks for the info so far. Sounding much better than I'd hoped for! Aqua Adventures was a nice outfit, but Lord the timed dives were killing me!

We will be down over the July 4th week. Planning on snorkeling with the whale sharks and going to try to get either some fishing in or some swimming with the sail fish. Last time I was there when asking about swimming with the sail fish, we couldn't hardly find anybody who had even heard of it or they would look at you weird, seems like now in about 2 years there are a few outfits offering it. Hoping to see the whale sharks more out in the blue then going to Holbox if that is possible. I'd heard you'll get way better viz out in the blue.

Actually the area near Holbox is in the "blue." Viz isn't going to be great due to the reason the whale sharks are there, plankton, but since they are right at the surface you still get great views and ability to take photos

I might be mixed up then. Last time I was Isla Mujeres I got the impression that they did the whale sharks a little different, that you booked with a operator out of Isla Mujeres and they head out east into the ocean, out toward where the sailfish fishing is to see the whale sharks. I thought they said the viz was better because there wasn't as much plankton in the waters like there is around Holbox. You think I have this mixed up and they just motor over to Holbox to see them?

I've been three times and actually each time we seemed to be in a slightly different location relative to Holbox...I think the operators just go to where the aggregation winds up being, which might vary slightly year to year, but is always close to Isla Holbox. As far as I know I've never seen or heard of multiple areas that operators go like you describe.

I rather have bad experience diving with them......groups of divers were massive, all levels at the same time, one instructor dealing with courses and fun divers on the same dive and morover, what shocked me, they were spear fishing.....the DM had a dead fish in his bcd.....while guiding the Sleeping Shark Cave.....
you can be lucky but there is no garantee....unfortunatelly, I would not reccomand diving with these guys.

I rather have bad experience diving with them......groups of divers were massive, all levels at the same time, one instructor dealing with courses and fun divers on the same dive and morover, what shocked me, they were spear fishing.....the DM had a dead fish in his bcd.....while guiding the Sleeping Shark Cave.....
you can be lucky but there is no garantee....unfortunatelly, I would not reccomand diving with these guys.

Dang guys is there any good dive outfit on the Isle Of Mujeres....can you rent tanks and dive from shore?
Please give input on dive operations and if we can shore dive and where to get tanks.
Bubbles up
Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom