Question Who in Oahu picks up at Hotels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

March is far out in the future so if a shop says they'll do pick up today, they might not in March so you'll definitely want a backup plan. Big Island Divers says they offer pickup (called & no pickup, said that was pre-covid)

Some transportation alternatives: Uber/Lyft. Walk, bike or Moped rental. Check with Budget and Avis at the international Market Place, they used to let you park in their parking spots over night if you rented with them saying you a daily hotel parking fee. Maybe other outside the airport rental places do the same. Turo can work but I'm 0-1.5 (coincidentally both in Hawaii; Oahu and Kauai) as one never accepted my request to rent and the other accepted and cancelled the day before my arrival, no reason given but I've heard some owners get scared if you've never rented before. Not ideal but there's always the bus

As far as accommodations, if you want a hotel, its hard to find better rates than on hotwire. The other hotel option is if you have credit card points, convert them into Hilton or Hyatt points as on award stays they do not require you paying for resort fees. The Hilton even has the 5th night free on award stays. Some hotels offer locals (called Kama‘āina) discounted rates, if you have a friend with a Hawaiian drivers license, add them to the room and have them check in for you as they'll want to see a local license. Yet if you have a Hawaiian friend, can always ask if you can crash with them. Often the cheapest is a rental from Airbnb/VRBO which usually do not have parking fees or resort fees

Keep us updated if you find anywhere as it will help out others

I usually Uber/Lyft. Kewalo Basin parking lot gets super crowded really fast. You'll only find a space if you get there really early... and it's more aloha spirit to not occupy a space.

I am going to rekindle this thread. I did Thailand instead Spring Break 2023 and had a blast. Sad to say with Flight, Hotels and Diving it came to the same I was budgeting for Hawaii. Plus no resort Fees. My Wife does want to return to Hawaii and is thinking next Spring Break(March 2024) We have found some reasonable flights and accommodations(even with Resort Fees). So I guess I have to ask again, have any of the Dive operators started pick ups at Hotels again?
Island Divers (in Koko Marina) picks up in Waikiki but it’s over $200 for a 2 tank dive. They also offer West Side trips.

Island Divers (in Koko Marina) picks up in Waikiki but it’s over $200 for a 2 tank dive. They also offer West Side trips.

Are you sure they do so post-Covid? I called and asked in August since it does appear on their website but they told me it's outdated info and they do not offer pickups. I suggested they update their website and got the dismissive "OK" (lol) and its still on their website. Curious if they now provide transportation

1703607570166.png

I am going to rekindle this thread. I did Thailand instead Spring Break 2023 and had a blast. Sad to say with Flight, Hotels and Diving it came to the same I was budgeting for Hawaii. Plus no resort Fees. My Wife does want to return to Hawaii and is thinking next Spring Break(March 2024) We have found some reasonable flights and accommodations(even with Resort Fees). So I guess I have to ask again, have any of the Dive operators started pick ups at Hotels again?

Just an idea, could you do another Thailand trip (or the Philippines which is cheaper) and spend a few nights in Hawaii inbound or outbound to Thailand?

With resort fees, if you book award stays (using credit card points) you can avoid resort fees with Hilton and Hyatt properties. You obviously shouldn't just blindly book with points, should compare the cash vs award stay. Also, they both offer 5th night for free on award stays

Just got an email - Island Divers in Oahu owner is retiring:

Island Divers and Honolulu Scuba are for sale!​

Aloha all and happy New Year. 2024 is going to be the year of retirement for me. I’m 54 and have spent 23 years building Island Divers Hawaii and acquiring other businesses. Like a good friend said - "you know, you basically won the life lottery" - I am grateful for sure. I’ll be keeping the international dive program - Dive Travel Services.

Island Divers Hawaii

Island Divers Hawaii trade name and the Hawaii Kai location. Comes with 3 USCG certified vessels (Sea Fox- 49 pax, Sea Hound - 17 pax, and Dive Barge 42 pax) Snorkel with Turtles snorkeling business and website are part of this. The website rankings are amazing (20 years of work and content). I had the best website when Yahoo was bigger than Google!

Honolulu Scuba Company

Located in Kaka’ako near the SALT complex between downtown and Waikiki. Major revitalization area where new residences keep growing skyward in anticipation of the arrival of rail. This shop is available with or without boats. This might be a good choice for someone who wants to live the dream but has a modest budget for starting a business. Boats available are Enzo and Moe Mac.

Oahu Dolphin Divers

Oahu Dolphin Divers is the company that holds a coveted west-side Waianae permit. Only 17 in existence and the state is unlike to ever issue them again. Comes with the 23 pax boat the South Seas II.

Schofield PX base exchange shop

Renewable yearly contract with the base. Percentage rent only. Probably best as an add-on to another purchase or if you already have a watersport business.

Now that I have decided to retire, I am very ready to do it. There is an option for owner financing, but a qualified buyer will need capital. But if you are serious, feel free to reach out for a conversation.

Once new ownership is in place, keep an eye out here for introductions!

I did a dive recently with Aloha and was satisfied with the value. It's one of the cheaper options and they are a reasonable walk from the hotel district.

I did a dive recently with Aloha and was satisfied with the value. It's one of the cheaper options and they are a reasonable walk from the hotel district.

I priced them out, the 2 tank $159 boat dive with all fees and taxes is $184

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom