Who Loves Ice Diving? I do!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool. I doubt I'd see anything like that around here though. Most of our rivers freeze over on the top making ice diving a pretty dangerous idea.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
*snip* I haven't ever done an ice dive without having to do alot of work first and it sounded pretty good to me. I still couldn't get anyone interested in a spin under the ice. *snip*
Couldn't agree more. Most people don't realize how much work goes into setting up a good ice dive. Everyone wants to dive, few want to help with setup and tear down of the site.

Finding enough help is the problem we have in this area, so two or three people end up cutting the hole, shoveling/chipping the wagon wheel and directional arrows, setting up the warming shelter, etc.

By the time your done with all that, your pretty well wiped out for diving the same day. Thats all fine and dandy if your 25 but it gets a little harder when your approaching or cracking the 40 mark.

Personally i won't set up an ice dive unless we have at least 8 serious divers/helpers to share the work, 9 is better. You need at least that many to do a good job with surface support/tending anyway.

As for if ice diving is fun? I have yet to meet some who has done a well planned ice dive who didn't enjoy it. IMO its a blast. As others have said, inverted water skiing is a must. Guess you just have to do it to understand.

Omicron,

Just out of curiousity, you weren't out at Wazee were you? I was out there with a college group from Winona on the 9th. That was my first ice dive since certification, and I've got to say it was awesome!:crest: You definitely should've tried skiing....my instructor/tender made sure i got a chance to try it. Anyway...small world if you were out at Wazee; Can't wait until next year to do it again!

Superego

Yeah, I was out at Wazee on the 9th with a few other guys :)

I didn't get to do the ice skiing at all because I was with another guy on our line, so they would have had to tow two of us at once.

Still had a heck of a lot of fun though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom