Who makes the best SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Why would a semi-closed need an OPV?

Mine became semi-closed AFTER removing the OPV. It was a closed bag before that.

i've got both the small and medium size halcyon SMBs now, and the 85(?) lbs halcyon lift bag. the small SMB is what i normally carry.

there may be a cheaper or better route to go -- but i didn't want to do too much research on SMBs and the halcyons seem okay...

I'm about the same as Lamont...Large and small Halcyon SMB.

I carry the small SMB hooked up to a 75 fool spool in my left pocket on all dives. Really easy to inflate with the one way valve. Just a few puffs from you mouth does it. You don't really have to mess with an inflator hose...

If I am going to an area where surface visibility or currents are an issue, I will stuff the large SMB in my backplate pak, and throw a heftier spool in my pocket...However, if you inflate from a shallow depth, you have little chance of inflating this one with exhalation only. You'll have to be satisfied with a limp noodle until you get to the surface and can inflate further, or use an inflator hose at depth, or oral inflate from deeper.

detroit diver:
I use a 6 ft Halcyon SMB, with the OPV valve removed. The valve is at the bottom of the SMB when inflated. My adjustment makes this a semi-closed SMB, and allows you to fill it either by the regulator, by mouth, or by an inflator hose.

Do you have a photo of this?

overexposed2X:
Do you have a photo of this?

Not at my office, but I'll shoot one tonite and post it.

jagfish:
I'm about the same as Lamont...Large and small Halcyon SMB.

I carry the small SMB hooked up to a 75 fool spool in my left pocket on all dives. Really easy to inflate with the one way valve. Just a few puffs from you mouth does it. You don't really have to mess with an inflator hose...

Yeah, I bought the medium 4' one first -- but the small 3' is actually much smaller and much more appropriate for shore diving around here. If I was diving in currents off of a boat I'd probably take the medium one. The large one I think I'd only use when there was going to be little chance of making it to shore or getting picked up by another ship or rescuers in the time it would take to become hypothermic.

I wish that halcyon would make them in yellow though. I'd like to carry an orange one for 'everything is cool, just couldn't find the upline' and yellow for 'oh ****, send gas down'.

lamont:
Yeah, I bought the medium 4' one first -- but the small 3' is actually much smaller and much more appropriate for shore diving around here. If I was diving in currents off of a boat I'd probably take the medium one. The large one I think I'd only use when there was going to be little chance of making it to shore or getting picked up by another ship or rescuers in the time it would take to become hypothermic.

I wish that halcyon would make them in yellow though. I'd like to carry an orange one for 'everything is cool, just couldn't find the upline' and yellow for 'oh ****, send gas down'.

On mine, there is a clear pocket at the top where you can send up a note. The boat needs to know to look for it though.

detroit diver:
Not at my office, but I'll shoot one tonite and post it.

I'll try to do the same with my Carter but i can't get to it till next week. Maybe i'll get a commission or something from Carter since the picture they use to represent their product is so weak. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom