Who makes the best SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overexposed2X:
Do you have a photo of this?

Okay, here's a pic of my Halcyon 6 ft SMB w/ the OPV valve removed/missing. I couldn't shoot the upper half of the bag 'cause I didn't have anything to hang it from!

detroit diver:
Okay, here's a pic of my Halcyon 6 ft SMB w/ the OPV valve removed/missing. I couldn't shoot the upper half of the bag 'cause I didn't have anything to hang it from!

Can you fit this in a pocket?

reubencahn:
Can you fit this in a pocket?

Yes. Very easily. It rolls up into a compact package-even with the spool attached. I've got my wetnotes in the same pocket with room to spare.

I'll shoot another pic tonite if I get a chance.

edit to add: the pocket on my drysuit to the left in the first picture is the one that I stow it in.

detroit diver:
I use a 6 ft Halcyon SMB, with the OPV valve removed. The valve is at the bottom of the SMB when inflated. My adjustment makes this a semi-closed SMB, and allows you to fill it either by the regulator, by mouth, or by an inflator hose.

What is the point of removing the OPV? Is it just so that it rolls up smaller? Isn't there a down side from doing this? Exactly how does one "remove the OPV"?

califdiver1:
What is the point of removing the OPV? Is it just so that it rolls up smaller? Isn't there a down side from doing this? Exactly how does one "remove the OPV"?

I am also curious about why one would remove the OPV valve. Wouldnt it defalte when it reaches the surface if shot up from below?

califdiver1:

Actually, I didn't remove it-it fell/broke off! But it turned out to be a blessing.

The OPV is (was) located near the bottom of the bag, so it doesn't cause the bag to lose air when at the surface. More importanty, it allowed the user the option to either fill the bag with a regulator, with their mouth, or with their inflator hose-- all in one bag. I haven't figured out a downside yet.

It does roll up slightly smaller, but I wouldn't call that too much of an advantage. It's not that great to make a difference one way or another.

As to how to remove it, I'm not really sure. I think you just twist it off. But someone on this board will have a better answer than that I'm sure.

lal7176:
I am also curious about why one would remove the OPV valve. Wouldnt it defalte when it reaches the surface if shot up from below?

No, not at all. The lower part of the bag is below the water, and the weight of the line, spool, and the person hanging on to it ensures that the bag doesn't spill the air from itself. It's a 6 foot tall SMB, so a good portion of it sticks up, but not all of it.

lairdb:
When I was researching SMBs I read several positive comments (especially from those in the UK) about Carter, but was never able to find a real picture of one -- just an incredibly poorly drawn cartoon that looks like a 6-year-old using MSPaint drew it. Not at any retailer's site, not at Carter's own site, nowhere.

Carter's come in several sizes -- the 35 pound lift "personal float" is the smallest. I had one and found it fit easily, with a small spool, in the pocket of my "x-shorts". I bartered it to a GUE instructor outside of the US who had admired it when I used it during a class, and I may end up buying another one.

You can see the whole Carter lift bag and SMB selection at http://www.scuba-accessories.com/index.php/cPath/23. The Carter company web page which includes some additional specs (dimensions) for the floats is at http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html.

Part of the reason I initially picked up the Carter is because it offered both regulator inflate and mouth inflate. I was under the impression that the Halcyons mostly were just set up for inflator hose inflate -- which as a wetsuit diver I didn't find appealing.

Can someone confirm that it is possible to orally inflate an SMB like the Halcyons that is set up with a valve for a BC inflator hose?

Gracias

califdiver1:
Can someone confirm that it is possible to orally inflate an SMB like the Halcyons that is set up with a valve for a BC inflator hose?

Gracias

Yes, not a problem at all. Just blow into the inflator orifice.

detroit diver:
The lower part of the bag is below the water, and the weight of the line, spool, and the person hanging on to it ensures that the bag doesn't spill the air from itself. It's a 6 foot tall SMB, so a good portion of it sticks up, but not all of it.

I'll be darn....learn something new everyday :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom