Who practices emergency free ascents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did one last week from 45'. I am counting it as practice.

Most divers could ascend from 70 ft. without even feeling air hunger. Personally, I would not practice this just because you COULD get bent and the benefits don't outweigh the risks. BUT once you need to do one, you will be relieved to feel how easy it was and to have it under your belt. Of course, if you are dirty from a long deep dive, you might consider any other options first.

Giving my tank to someone to get some help would be an option. Ascending like a freedive would be easy from anything under 100 ft. If I did not believe this there is no way I would solo. And I do NOT solo with a deco load, ever.
I am more afraid of a spinal hit than death.

all4scuba05:
would you take a trip to the chamber if it means saving your buddies life?

Ah, yes.

I didn't say I wouldn't do it ... I merely asked if you would have to, if you did.
I hope the favor is returned though ... :eyebrow:

sasscuba:
Nobody said I was down for a considerable amount of time??? Dive was done only with the intent purpose to practice. You know what happens when you ASSUME don't you?:D

Hmm, let me see ... I asked ... "(if you've been down there for a while)", emphasys on "if" ... wasn't "assuming" you were down there for a while...

And yes, I do too practice CESA, just never from that depth ... that's all, no more to the question, no less. Just a question.

:1poke:

We all know it can be done, so do it once from 20ft, get the basics down, and move on.......be safe.

Charlie99:
If done right, one can ascend at much less than the 60fpm ascent rate of the old US Navy tables. So the odds of DCS are low.

I did a practice CESA from around 90' up to 15' with an ascent rate of only 40fpm or so, and still felt like I could have gone slower. ......

Interesting. Something tells me I should practice this as the original situation posed by NJMike is quite realistic for this area (NJ)

Tanker299:
Hmm, let me see ... I asked ... "(if you've been down there for a while)", emphasys on "if" ... wasn't "assuming" you were down there for a while...

And yes, I do too practice CESA, just never from that depth ... that's all, no more to the question, no less. Just a question.

:1poke:

You should practice from a depth you a normally dive at. If you never dive to 90 then it's not necessary to do so.

Here's one more reason for a pony bottle.
OK here's the scenario, I'm at 60' or 70' and my dive Buddie get snagged in some fish net on a wreck dive and I can't cut him free. (And we have talked about this.) So I pull one pin and my pony bottle comes off and I leave my buddie with some extra air. (most of us have 19cf bottles) This could buy him some time, time enuff for me to acend and grab the bottle that every wreck diver should have hanging from a line at 15' and return to my buddie with that bottle. (we typicly hang a AL80) Now he has some time for me to call for help and gear up again if needs be. A CESA just has bad Ju Ju magic writen all over it! I think it might work but if you get hurt it's not helping any one, Rescue Diver 101. Ok, so it might only work for this one sceario? I just hate the thought of getting Bent.

Regards, George

Seems to me the thread got a little off base, as I read the post the question was "do you practice CESA". Not how to save your buddy, but I enjoyed those answers.

But to answer the queston, YES, I practice once a month.

Practice makes perfect, but then again, I get to work with students all the time so sometimes it makes it a little easier.:D

StraitsdiverGeo:
Here's one more reason for a pony bottle.

Yup - and with my 40cf sling there's plenty of time to straighten the situation out. In fact I can't imagine what my buddy could be so tangled in that we couldn't get him clear without my needing to ditch him at the bottom to go up for help.

Unless neither of us had the proper cutting tools on hand. Which wouldn't be the case.

Would I leave my main tank with him and head up from 70ft on a CESA. I really don't think that's an option.

The folks who say it is and that they practice it from whatever depth, think about the question as asked: Would you leave your gas with your buddy and head up? Consider your equipment and what/how you've practiced.

I'm diving a steel tank on a back plate with a 6lb weight. At a minimum I'm giving up 12lbs with the BP and weight. The tank had BETTER be negative too, or else you're not leaving him enough gas to make it worth leaving him the tank. So assume another 5lbs for the tank. Got any gear clipped on to you? Can light, cutting tools, wreck reel, etc, etc. Assume another 2-3lbs.

So there you are, in a dry suit you need to vent the whole way up. You've got one breath full of air that you need to vent the whole way up, and you're about 20lbs "positive" vs when you entered the water. In short, you're on a rocket-ride to the surface. I see no way that you could safely ascend. I don't care how much you practice or how good your bouyancy control is.

Ditching your tank at that point is lunacy.

Well....
Here's what I come away with: first, might not be a bad idea to be proficient in the skill of CESA (not sure what it means), something something Safe Ascent? Perhaps a more realistic scenario might be the time when you get just a little bit behind your buddy...and he's swimming away from you AND you get no more air from your tank...

Do you chase after your buddy, hoping to "catch up"...or look up from 45' (or more) and say to yourself "I can do this".

I have never done one, but will definitely do one (more than one) next summer. Just knowing you can do it...because you HAVE done it, I think would be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom