Who practices emergency free ascents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll:
jbd: No doubt that you wouldn't want to leave someone!

I guess I just really don't like the choices. I have yet to be in a situation where this type of choice would have to be made and am curious if it's really something that people encounter in any kind of frequency. Any entanglement hazzard I can think of can either be cut, or would be so think that is should be able to be unwound. Then again, most places I dive don't have alot of fisherman nets ...
I agree, the choices aren't wonderful and for the most part I don't think very many people get tangled to this point with any regularity. I'm aware of two situations involving entanglement and in each case the person involved died. One is a in a thread here on scubaboard a few years back and the other involves an instructor who apparently got entangled in fishing line and in his efforts to free himself only made entanglement worse. These two cases are the very reason I specifically teach dealing with entanglement in the OW course.

While these kinds of events don't happen very often, I think discussing such scenarios as the OP brought up are a very important part of getting people to think about such situations.

all4scuba05:
would you take a trip to the chamber if it means saving your buddies life?
My buddy is my wife... of course I would...

(now, if it were an obnoxious, reef-kicking, stroke insta-buddy... wellll....)

Your right RJP , what I practice is free ascent with all BC and tank ,

obviously , I dont exactly want to endanger my life by practicing ,

regards

Narco

I appreciate you guys and your opinions. I asked the question, expecting that, and you delivered.

It's amazing how many ideas I read, then think to myself "Wow, I didn't think about that". Then 4 posts down someone questions THAT idea and I think "That's a good questions".

I was going to buy a book...then thought about a magazine...then thought about 2 magazines...but NO MAGAZINE COULD EVER GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION TO MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT SO MANY THINGS THAN YOU GET RIGHT HERE.

I'm humbled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom