Who to dive with (Oriskany, Aug.16th)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand your question? Are you asking for a shop? If so, and please do not take it as a negative to any other shops in the area, I have made now three dives on the O and used MBT in Pensecola to make the arrangements for the boat etc. I have found them to be reliable and friendly. The boats do not belong to MBT but have private skippers for the most part and I am sure they carry for other shops or on their own as well. MBT has a web page, google MBT Divers. Should find their web page. N

Out of idle curiosity - is there anything on the "O" worth paying the boat fees for as a non technical diver?

I want to go there so bad, but I've heard that all you can see as a rec diver is the island. I'm not sure if thats worth the price of admission until I have been trained to do some deeper, longer dives.

You know SGG3K, some of us do not believe in "technical," we are just divers, the dive we plan depends upon the result to be achieved.

The deck of the O is around 140 feet. Some claim it is 130 but I guess due to Global Warming and Climate Change and the sky is falling that my depth guage reads 140 feet or slightly less. You can bounce the deck and then work your way back up the "tower" which is larger than most wrecks all by itself. Kind of like a sunken skyscraper. I have seen several sharks now on it and lot's of interesting sealife. It is a good dive, usually strong current, deep, long boat ride.

Frankly, diving the O to the deck on an aluminum 80 is asking for it. I carry my pony. I was told by one skipper that they brought --if I recall the number correctly--19 people up flat out of air at over 100 feet last year. That being second hand take it for what it is worth but in my opinion, most average divers need at least 100cf, nitrox, a 19 or 30 cf pony or double 72s to dive at this depth. The current I have encountered there all three times resulted in my "dive mates and buddies" sucking their air up. I also witnesses divers getting back onboard with nothing in reserve. By the time you swim your way to the anchor line, swim down the anchor line, make your way to the tower, work yourself down the tower and bounce the deck most people are going to have already busted the "Rule of Thirds" that I generally at least pay lip service to. Let me make it simple, if you are going to do a dive on the O you need a 100 cf and nitrox blend and a pony as a minimum equipment. Experienced divers with good sac can do it with an alumium 80 and nothing other, average diver, I would say no, it cuts to close if you do the full tour (to the deck and up the tower).

To the OP, MBT should be able to set you up for a "Tech" dive.

Last time I got mildly fussed at because I do my usual first in and last out routine, my buddy hoovered as usual and since I am old with numerous injuries and wishing not to be bent I often hang at 15 feet or so and just observe, people watch, fish watch, and then get back on with a good 1,000 still in my tank but they did not like me being in the water without my buddy even though in the clear water they could see me hanging????? I don't care really, I was not ready to come up yet. They said back on board with 500, I had 800, what the heck? My buddy, well, he hoovered and was in a hurry to get back on board so he could get back to throwing up and turning bright shades of green, several others were in competition with him, I figured the longer I stayed in the water the less vomitous I would have on me, just planning my dive, diving my plan.

N

Last edited:
I don't understand your question? Are you asking for a shop? If so, and please do not take it as a negative to any other shops in the area, I have made now three dives on the O and used MBT in Pensecola to make the arrangements for the boat etc. I have found them to be reliable and friendly. The boats do not belong to MBT but have private skippers for the most part and I am sure they carry for other shops or on their own as well. MBT has a web page, google MBT Divers. Should find their web page. N

Sorry - Yes - what shop to dive with. my bad..

MBT Divers Dive shop Pensacola, FL

Again, there are other shops and private skippers and guides. This is just the one I am familiar with and who have done good by me. N

I went to Pensicola a couple months ago and booked with Dive Pros and Bay Breeze and tried to go out 3 times and each time the trip was canceled. Dive Pros is a VERY nice shop located a fare distance from the dock. Bay Breeze is over in Gulf Breeze on Pensacola Beach.

The time we tried going with Bay Breeze the charter time was changed and we wern't notified so we showed up only to find out the boat was coming to pick us up in the afternoon. Next time, I'll probably book with MBT or Dive Pros or even take my own boat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom