Who wants to dive Cedarville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30-40' vis is average for the C'ville. The C'ville isn't know for great vis, but she's big, so you can only take in a little at a time anyway. It is a great wreck! I think it is the way she sits and the prevailing wind and current flow.

The vis is usually better, 50-70', on most of the other wrecks up there. That all said, all of this is very weather dependent and can change day to day.

There is a lot to do up there après-diving. Mack Island, Icebreaker Mackinaw, Mack City lighthouse museum, Valley Camp ship museum in the Sault...

Thanks. After diving in quarries with 5 feet vis, 30 feet would be awesome! I would not mind checking some of these other wrecks too.

Last season we did a double dip on the Cedarville from bow to stern.
It was a magnificent dive and if running NDL's watch your computer closely.
We were running a deco plan so time was not a factor other than it is a large wreck.

I would recommend a dive to the Eber Ward as well another very interesting wreck.
We were up there I think in July and temps were great.
One word of caution if driving up eat before you get there if your arrival in after 10pm.
Most places close and even bars only had the grill going past 10pm.
Walmart saved us with some healthy choice frozen microwaveable dishes!

All in all great trip but again depth is a bit more than intro wrecks but not especially complicated.
You will be tempted to go into the Ceadarville just be ware the cargo holds are big and open but there are areas that are so much.
If not trained or experienced you might want to do peer ins / swim in and outs.
Not advocating any advanced penetration dives unless you are trained and or certed.

CamG

Alright guys now here is the situation:

I had a chance to discuss this dive with Larry from Straits scuba. Great guy! He tells me that diving will begin from May 26 and visibility is expected to be 40 ish. For a single diver, he may be able to get me on one of his trips but no guarantee of hitting Cedarville as they would be at the mercy of the group and majority wants to dive that particular day.

If we have a small group of our own, then we can charter our own boat specifically for Cedarville. Larry will arrange for a Divemaster whose father was an actual survivor of the sinking! This would be a dive into history on one of the biggest wrecks in the Great Lakes with a real story-teller.

If we aim for June, who would be interested? It sounds like a great dive trip building up.

If we plan this in June, who would be interested?

Had another discussion with Larry. We need only 6 divers to book the Intrepid dive boat. Suggested dates are June 14 and 15 (Saturday and Sunday). Cost is 130 per diver per day. Another 40 dollars to make it a 3 tank dive instead of 2. This is a massive wreck (over 600 feet) so three dives is what is the bare minimum needed to get a grasp of it. Lodging is available directly across the street ($ 70.00/night/2 single beds). Larry recommends three days of diving since folks would be traveling and to allow for a bad weather day. It is possible to dive other wrecks on the following days.

Who is in?

Cheers - CS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom