Who was born or lived near water

Do you think you dive because you live)lived) near water?

• Yes, I dive because I have(had) a direct access to the water

Votes: 71 56.3%
  • No, that was not a determinative in my decision

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never lived near any big body of water. I was hooked up by chance.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up near Lake Mich., lived 40 miles away from it in college, then down to Ft. Polk La.for a bit, but now I live within walking distance.
My Mom always took us to the beach, and I used to love Seahunt.
I had a toy sub with frogman that was one of my fav. toys. I snorkeled with a round mask and a "j" type tube that had a ping-pong ball to stop the water from coming in.
After skiing out west for a few years my wife wanted a warm vacation.The year was1980, we went to Grand Cayman, I snorkeled off a glass bottom boat..........THAT WAS IT, all that stuff going on, all those colors, all that cool looking marine life poking around below me.
So, the influence of the lake was there even though it took me awhile to find my fav. sport!
Caymaniac :D

I was born goin to the lake every weekend, I still do today. My parents are Padi certified and have gone diving quite abit, so my dad wanted to get me started on diving.

Although I was born on an Island and growing up a beach bum, it's not the factor that I became scuba diver. i was watching some TV program about sub who encounter interesting creatures of the deep and I was hook with the divers able to get uot of the sub and swim around.

i pickup up scuba while I was living inland 4 hours away from the nearest dive spot.

Grew up a gifted swimmer I suppose, on swim teams and what not. Loved the water. Grew up around Buffalo, NY, which is on Lake Erie of course, so I had more than my fair share of water exposure and the recreation that goes along with it.

Looked into SCUBA Diving once around 17, but was intimidated by the costs, so I put it on hold for several more years, much to my regret.

At the time I rejuvenated my diving interests, I was living farther upstate NY near Lake Champlain, where I had a boat, so by then, diving seemed all the more practical and feasible. I knew I could spend the money and get its real worth because I had easy access to the water, minutes away, and I took advantage of it. It was great having a boat and being able to park anywhere you want and explore different sections of this historic lake when you want. NIght diving, shore diving, Island shore diving, etc., etc.

Well, too good to last, and I found myself relocating to somewhat landlocked Philly. That's when I realized how spoiled I was having such short, easy access to a major body of diveable water. In Philly area (PA/NJ) there is diving abound, you are limited to quarries that aren't even opened during the week, and NJ wreck diving, which takes me up to 2 hours to get to the major shore points to meet my boat, which is usually at 7 am, meaning I have to leave my pad no later than 4 am. Bit of a hassle.

So I would say to a large extent, living on or near a large body of water makes taking diving all the more attractive, because you know you can do it.

A update is in order, I have lived inland for over 3 yrs on a horse ranch. Sold the damned thing and next week I will once again live accrossed the street from the good old PACIFIC Ocean.............
Life is good!!!!
Bill
PS we do at times learn from our mistakes

born near the ocean, lived near the ocean, and if i have anything to say about it, will die by the ocean, (or be dragged kicking and screaming from the beach)

Back
Top Bottom