Who was the Divemaster's or Instructor's buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OffTheWall:
The decents/ascents problems are your ears stop clearing.
Are you commenting on KingStrokes comment "During a recent class an instructor friend of mine also did something like 30 decents/ascents in his OW class."

I think the potential problems far exceed problems with clearing your ears. Saw tooth profiles are not good. What's that song....tiny bubbles....

Jason

CALI68:
OffTheWall:
I will not get in to what I think of GUE and DIR, There is not enough room on the internet!
]

Darn! Please please reconsider! I need a good laugh. A solo diver trashing GUE divers would be hiarious! It only took you 26 posts to offend a huge majority of SB members.
QUOTE]

Huge majority?? Who knows.. I don't keep track of the statistics, but I do think it is hillarious :1poke: that GUE/DIR has so many proponents/opponents that they can hijack a thread without even trying. :11: I thought that the orginal question was about who was the instructors buddy during OW class.

CALI68:
OffTheWall:
I will not get in to what I think of GUE and DIR, There is not enough room on the internet!
]

Darn! Please please reconsider! I need a good laugh. A solo diver trashing GUE divers would be hiarious! It only took you 26 posts to offend a huge majority of SB members.

Good job!
You guys dive your way and I will dive mine!
I refuse to let someone tell me what equipment I NEED to have and how to dive! And NO, one set in stone diving method, does not work for all situations. I do not pretend to tell cave divers how they should dive in a cave because that way works for me in the ocean!

Why do DIR divers beleive that they have the right to tell everyone else that they are not diving safely and will kill themselves?

Why did two DIR divers in my area die in a cave b/c they ran out or air? If that is Doing It Right, I will always be WRONG!

I don't care how you feel about me or my diving b/c I will never be your buddy of any other DIR diver's buddy!

OffTheWall:
CALI68:
You guys dive your way and I will dive mine!
I refuse to let someone tell me what equipment I NEED to have and how to dive! And NO, one set in stone diving method, does not work for all situations. I do not pretend to tell cave divers how they should dive in a cave because that way works for me in the ocean!

Why do DIR divers beleive that they have the right to tell everyone else that they are not diving safely and will kill themselves?

Why did two DIR divers in my area die in a cave b/c they ran out or air? If that is Doing It Right, I will always be WRONG!

I don't care how you feel about me or my diving b/c I will never be your buddy of any other DIR diver's buddy!

and what situation might that be that the DIR system won't work??? The system works whether you're in 10 ft of water on a crystal clear tropical reef or if you're 500 ft inside a cave penetration. So, how does it not work?

I don't know why those 2 divers in your area unfortunately didn't make it back from a dive, I wasn't there. But please, don't start spewing out stories of deaths from DIR divers. Divers Alert Network (DAN) researchers have published that deaths from solo diving are statistically more common than deaths while diving in a buddy pair.

.......and don't worry about ever hurting our feelings by declining to be our buddy. No GUE trained diver in their right mind would dive close to you. I feel sorry for your students that you lead as a DM. Oh, you're panicking and out of air, here's my pony bottle. :06:

Mel

Side note.......I apologize for any part that I played in the change of this thread's direction.

First of all, I'm not by any means DIR but I have adopted many of their teqniques.

OffTheWall:
I refuse to let someone tell me what equipment I NEED to have and how to dive!
I guess PADI/SSI/whomever shouldn't be expecting you in any more classes. You know, I'm greatful for having other divers to learn from. I guess that's because I've not attained the status of "Best Diver in the World".

OffTheWall:
Anyone has the right to tell anyone that they are going to kill themselves. If someone sees me putting Argon into a deco, I would hope they would speak up about it. DIR/GUE believe that they have worked out the best way to do things, good for them. They try and convince others that there way is better, good for them. If I disagree then I don't have to listen (but of course a closed mind isn't going to make me a better diver). Of course, I feel many DIR/GUE divers have a closed mind but that's not my problem.

OffTheWall:
Why did two DIR divers in my area die in a cave b/c they ran out or air? If that is Doing It Right, I will always be WRONG
I'm a budding cave diver, I have a friend that died in a cave. I feel it is very inappropriate and insensitive to throw the death of a friend or collegue in someones face because you want to make a joke. By the way, almost all cave deaths are because the diver ran out of air for whatever reason.

Jason, there are not a lot of data about making many desents/accesnts to 30 feet or so in a short period of time, say 2hrs. But the most notable problem is ear clearing. If you friend has allergies or slight conjestion it will effect his ears after 30 times. I know all of my instructor friends have problems with classes requiring an exceeding number of desents/accesnts.

Lead carrier, My original comment (and lets remember thats what they are) was refering to a instructor/DM being self suficant. I am not looking for a fight because its not worth it. I give my opion as does every one here.

Interesting info. I'm not going to do them as a result of that post but will definitely file that in my memory bank. Thanks.

Jason

If I have an equipment problem and need air then I expect my students to provide it to me or I haven't done my job properly.

If I have a heart attack on the other hand, how much better prepared is a recent graduate of an OW class going to be to help me than a current student? It seems like I'm fubar'd either way. (Though at least in NAUI we provide basic rescue training at the OW level).

re: the hijack - it is unfortunate that so many divers trained by one agency think there is nothing to learn from outside of that agency. There are many good instructors and lessons in the world - to think that they can only come from one place is a form of closemindedness which will eventually get people into trouble.

I find this an interesting thread because it just touches a little bit of the whole problem. If one's an instructor, they're self-reliant? (Funny I don't remember where any new instructor was trained to be solo unless initiated by themselves through a different agency.) If one's DIR, they're too dependent? (Because students don't count.) If one's a solo diver then they can be a good instructor but shouldn't be DIR? (Sometimes you have bad buddies so solo can apply but if you have great buddies - isn't that how you want to dive?)
Does anyone see a funny circle here? This is part of the problem. We need, as Professionals, more training here.
I know of an instructor who believes DM's should be self-reliant and sends them into open water, by themselves, to set-up tarps. (If he's the only instructing staff, he does it by himself.) I didn't feel comfortable with the situation.
I learned more about DIR and took the DIRF and failed it. I learned so much I give them credit all the time. But I do see how I should learn about solo diving so can be flexible with students.
I also see the hard nosed DIR/PADI crowds and want to continue learning - even it that means outside these two boxes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom