Whole trip at Little Cayman or half at Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all! My husband and I are planning our yearly dive trip. We want to go back to Little Cayman (Pirates Point) for at least a week. Debating on spending some time on Grand Cayman also. On our last trip to the Cayman Islands we split time between Brac and Little Cayman. When on Cayman Brac the dive masters wanted to take us over to Little Cayman and charge us an extra fee to do so. This happened almost daily. I like to dive 3 tanks on most days. Sounds like we would prefer East end if we do Grand Cayman but wondering if we should just go to Little Cayman for the entire trip. Any thoughts? Thanks!

East end has some great diving as well as the northside. If you've never been then I think it is worth the experience. If you are interested in just diving then go to LC. After a 2 - 3 tank day there are places to see and travel to on GC. On LC there is not much to see above water but the underwater view certainly is spectacular for the Caribbean, and it is nicely quiet. It's fun to visit Georgetown and see the sights around GC, walk 7 mile, eat at some good digs, as for diving it is great but not as spectacular on GC.

Last edited:
If you were only doing a week I would say stick to Little Cayman, IMO not worth splitting up a trip less than 10 nights. But if you have more time and have not done Grand at all, I think it is definitely worth adding on some time there to check it out. Do the East End, or we also like staying at Cobalt Coast on the Northwestern corner. (Dive tech there does North Wall as much as possible, you should be able to get in some shore dives at one of their places or at the Turtle farm. And it's in a quiet area yet not too far a drive to lots of restaurants and stuff, if you like doing that a bit.)

Interesting. You like 3 dives per day, but are going to Pirates Point??? Main reason I have not returned to PP was the limited dive opportunities. They dove twice daily - that was all that was available. Worked out for that trip as my wife ruptured her eardrum on GC prior to LC and couldn't dive, but definitely a reason not to return.

If you were only doing a week I would say stick to Little Cayman, IMO not worth splitting up a trip less than 10 nights. But if you have more time and have not done Grand at all, I think it is definitely worth adding on some time there to check it out. Do the East End, or we also like staying at Cobalt Coast on the Northwestern corner. (Dive tech there does North Wall as much as possible, you should be able to get in some shore dives at one of their places or at the Turtle farm. And it's in a quiet area yet not too far a drive to lots of restaurants and stuff, if you like doing that a bit.)

What Damselfish said. Note however that Ocean Frontiers does 4 dives per day, not 3.

What Damselfish said. Note however that Ocean Frontiers does 4 dives per day, not 3.

Or 5 dives per day on Mondays and Thursdays with the night dive. You can get in 24 dives in a week, I've not gotten in more than 22 :D

In my opinion, the diving off LC is better than GC including east end.
GC is busy, commercialized and Georgetown is full of cruise shippers almost every day.

LC and the Brac are unspoiled. For me, the decision is a no brainer.
Also curious about Pirate's Point. I thought they only offered AM diving. Maybe things have changed there.
LCBR and Southern Cross offer afternoon diving for sure.

In my opinion, the diving off LC is better than GC including east end.
GC is busy, commercialized and Georgetown is full of cruise shippers almost every day.

LC and the Brac are unspoiled. For me, the decision is a no brainer.
Also curious about Pirate's Point. I thought they only offered AM diving. Maybe things have changed there.

In my opinion, Little Cayman gets a slight nod over East end Grand Cayman in overall diving. The best night dives I've done were off Little Cayman. Grand Cayman is faster, easier, and cheaper for me to get to, of course I have nonstop from Philadelphia. You can get in considerably more diving at Ocean Frontiers than at Reef Divers in a week. The East end is still quite rural and very quiet. My wife asked me where I wanted to go for my 60th birthday, we'll be on Little Cayman the 1st week of February.

Pirate's Point is very laid back. They go out about 10 a.m. for two dives and give the divers as much time in the water as they want. They typically don't come back from the second dive until well after 1 p.m. The other extreme is Conch Club Divers. I see them going out about 7:30, and I also watch the boat coming back past my house between 11 and 11:15! I typically don't get out until after they're back. In fact, I wait for the LCBR boats to start leaving for lunch before I head out from shore. That way I only have to contend with Yellow Rose and maybe the Aggressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom