Who's going in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think i prefer beach dives for first day
My first Discover Scuba dives were from a boat. So much easier than short dives, but then I'm a lazy old coot, one of the reasons I like Coz drift diving as nature provides the go power. I almost never get motion sickness so would rather ride than walk. Then I certified in a spring fed swimming hole in West Texas. Eh. Over the years I have had some wild ladder exists on some boats in big waves, but those are so rare in Coz that they close the port (cancel all activities including diving) for the day - not likely at all in August.

Where are you now? You can do your check out dives in Coz, save your receipts and proof in case of problems, but you'll probably get your card okay in time. I'd rather get that out of the way at home and get right into real diving in Coz, altho I'd still suggest hiring a private DM for the first trip.

I'm going Aug 17-24, staying at Suites Colonial a half block off of the plaza. I enjoyed the huge standard room last year but doing a studio this year @ $44/night. Short hike for the free breakfast on front street. I'll leave my pony, BC, and fins with the dive op, but I like to wash my own masks, like to sleep in the same room as my regs, and then there's my camera, tank testers, coffee thermos, etc. - a good load.

Looking forward to diving with Alison a couple of days as Chief said he'd provide my transportation to/from the marina. I'd love to dive with her the entire week, but traveling solo and too cheap for the cab rides alone. When Chief leaves, I'll switch to Tres Pelicans - great op, office halfway between my hotel and my breakfast (so I can dump my pack!), and they provide marina transportation.

I think I may try to book 4 dives one day including a sunset and a night dive, then skip the next day to rent an Isis car and tour the island. I don't care if I drink beer or not so don't mind skipping that.

Dandydon, all we have left to do is checkout dives. Probably go with tres pelicanos as they do first day on beach , second boat dives. Still debating where to stay...close to town AND wanting to be on beach is not easy to find..

Only option for.check out dive here is cold quarry...no thanks lol

Dandydon, all we have left to do is checkout dives.
Yes, I understand that. I'd rather do them at home (wherever you are?) and get right to diving, but it's your trip. Have a good one.

Got DAN dive insurance? Must do.

Only option for.check out dive here is cold quarry...no thanks lol
My girlfriend just finished her OW at Dutch Springs in Eastern PA. I accompanied her as my refresher. Like you, I was "Quarry - no way!". It actually wasn't that bad. Water temp was in the low 70's. Vis about 40 ft. Beats spending valuable vacation time on certifications.

Two days spent getting some personal instruction in the water in Coz..I'm fine with spending vacation time on that :)

Two days spent getting some personal instruction in the water in Coz..I'm fine with spending vacation time on that :)
You still haven't said where you are so I can't understand your situation.

OW checkout dives are important skills education, sure - but boring compared to real diving. If you did the checkouts at home, then went right into diving with a personal DM the first day - you'd learn more and enjoy more. BTW, one skill that is taught in OW then too often forgotten is weight ditching. I like to drill on that the first dive of every trip, and still do. Most fatalities are found with weights still attached, probably after panicking in a problem.

I already mentioned that DAN dive insurance is essential, but hope you picked up that.

I'll be with a group of four 08/22-08/29 at the Allegro and diving with ProDive Mexico.

I'll be on island August 13-21st with girlfriend.

Staying at Suites Bahia and diving with Aldora, the usual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom