Why always shark-infested waters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah sounds "better", how about plankton infested waters, does nothing to help the plight of sharks. I wanna know where all these shark infested waters are and then go diving there. I often also hear the media refer to sharks as "killing machines":shakehead:

2011* Oxymoron= Shark infested waters.

It's amazing that some boats still don't check roll after the various instances of this happening. It's always good to be memorable, or to talk to people other than the person you will be diving with. Anyone know if they were drift diving? I can't imagine other divers not noticing two missing divers and causing the boat to turn back and search. Someone had to have set up next to them, how would that person not realize?

My wife and I were talking about how this could happen, and she reminded me of a boat we dive from in the keys. The tanks are in the center of the boat, not along the seats like most dive boats I have been on. On this boat people tend to not have set places to gear up or sit, so it would be easier to not notice a missing diver on that type boat.

I scanned the article... no mention of oxygen tanks.

wtf? :idk:

It's amazing that some boats still don't check roll after the various instances of this happening. It's always good to be memorable, or to talk to people other than the person you will be diving with. Anyone know if they were drift diving? I can't imagine other divers not noticing two missing divers and causing the boat to turn back and search. Someone had to have set up next to them, how would that person not realize?

When getting on the boat, setting up and on the trip out I make a point of chatting up the deck crew and if they are not the friendly types, I just annoy them. Because if they don't wonder where Bob is, at least they notice "that a-hole" is missing.

Reminds me of Uno Más. A buddy of mine diving in Mexico years ago would take forever to finish a tank while he was taking pics or sightseeing. Invariably the boat crew would start getting underway to numorous voices yelling Uno Más, Uno Más. Even though no one knew his name, everyone knew Uno Más.

How about Diver Infested Waters?

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

People love to confirm their stereotypes. It makes them feel good about "being right." The shark stereotype is that they're all maneaters. By confirming that belief indirectly ("shark-infested waters"), the journalist is just reinforcing people's views.

Also, it makes news sound exciting, although I don't know why you'd need that here; the actual report is quite interesting already.

Shark infested waters plays on our basic fears of sharks. It's the reason Jaws was so frightening. It triggers very basic emotions of fears.

Besides, media has to portray some drama. Divers left behind but were safely waiting to be picked up won't sell papers.

How about "Shark infested Oxygen Tanks"? (just trying to combine some of the recent popular meme's on SB).

This thread has prompted me to consider the various types of infestation that may occur. As evidenced by the oxygen tank reference, these infestations may actually occur in different areas. If I was smarter i would start a poll. But I am not. So the following is all you get.

So far on this thread we have:
- turtle infestations
- shrimp infestations
- human infestations
- blenny infestations
- plankton infestations
- diver infestations

I suggest we hijack this thread and use it to document the various types of infestations (of both the desirable and non-desirable types) as well as providing your favorite locales (ala oxygen tank) for these proposed infestations.

For non-desirable I promote the following:
- speedo infestation, locale == OLFG (Old Large Fat Guy)

For desirable I propose:
- manatee infestation (but not in the same locale as the speedo's)

Please exercise your right to democratic freedom by voting with the "Reply to thread" button.

shark advice :
why so many humans in my back yard ? i was here before them.
they take my food, they hot my water.
they kill me to eat only one small part, i have the right to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom