Why always shark-infested waters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm much more frightened of titan trigger fish defending the nest. If I knew that the water was infested with them or damsel fish with teeth I'd possibly be too frightened to continue diving. But back to the original post question, if it bleeds it leads.
:no:

News Flash!!!

78,000,000 sharks killed annually after swimming in human-infested waters!

people in cars = killing machines

People driving cars while talking on the phone or texting are killing machines. I feel safer around sharks than meeting them on the road.

Reminds me of Uno Más. A buddy of mine diving in Mexico years ago would take forever to finish a tank while he was taking pics or sightseeing. Invariably the boat crew would start getting underway to numorous voices yelling Uno Más, Uno Más. Even though no one knew his name, everyone knew Uno Más.

:rofl3: That's great!

Someone on another board pointed out that it's only when something goes wrong that the water gets all "sharky."

Sharks.... bah. They're awesome, but I've never felt in danger.

Damsel fish, on the other hand.....

It's amazing that some boats still don't check roll after the various instances of this happening. It's always good to be memorable, or to talk to people other than the person you will be diving with. Anyone know if they were drift diving? I can't imagine other divers not noticing two missing divers and causing the boat to turn back and search. Someone had to have set up next to them, how would that person not realize?

I've actually dived off the boat and through the dive shop from the article multiple times. Im not going to make excuses for them but just share how the boat is operated. Only two crew members are on the boat. The captain who is a pretty good guy and a DM who stays on the boat.

During the week its definitely not a cattle boat but on weekends its pretty much every seat taken and mostly by students. So in that case i could see how someone would not notice anyone missing cause there is like 40 people on the boat and most are students who are off in their own world. The boat doesn't, at least none of the times i've dived with them do a roll call. But like i said other than the one time on the weekend i only dove during the week with them when at most there was 6-8 divers so it was easy to notice someone missing... plus i dove so much with them the crew knew me.

As for shark infested waters out of all the dives i've done off Miami i've seen exactly one shark.... a nurse shark. As for drift diving, there aren't any drift dives off Miami that i know of but there are some strong currents out there. I remember one dive we couldn't even leave the anchor line or we would have been blown off. Guys with scooters couldn't even move forward.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this though since all the shops in Miami there pretty much use this boat for their diving.

To make clear again im not making excuses for them. Just sharing my experience with the boat in question :)

It would have sold if it had been titled:

"Nudi" Infested Waters........

Last edited:
Sharks.... bah. They're awesome, but I've never felt in danger.

Damsel fish, on the other hand.....

Or clownfish! Who knew the little bastards BITE!

Next time I watch "Finding Nemo" I'm cheering for the barracuda ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom