Why do divers wear bathing suits under wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

simoncpj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hope this isn’t a holy war topic.

I come from the world of surfing and find it odd that male divers often wear trunks under a wetsuit. Why? Is there some functional benefit I am unaware of? Because most started in rental wetsuits (and ugghh)?

Pretty easy to change into a full suit without flashing everyone so ????

The don’t flash someone on a moving boat makes sense. Changing at the beach - not too hard with a towel, way easier with a surf poncho out of towel material (and they have comfy hoods for warmth.)
You may not realize how much space activities like that take, and beaches have lots of space. On a crowded boat your work space is about the width of you gear.

On the other hand, going commando would have the benefit of removing one step during a frantically hurried Warhammer maneuver, should the need arise.

You may not realize how much space activities like that take, and beaches have lots of space. On a crowded boat your work space is about the width of you gear.

On the other hand, going commando would have the benefit of removing one step during a frantically hurried Warhammer maneuver, should the need arise.
Now this makes sense! Thank you

When I’m shore diving at home I wear my swim trunks to the dive area. So, taking them off to put on my wetsuit doesn’t make sense. However, I did get one of these Surf Poncho for post dive to change into dry clothes. Love it! The changing mat is great, too.

Erik

I wear under armor so I don't have to think about it

So that you don’t get a ticket in Pacific Grove, at Lover’s Point, when a towel accidentally opens in the breeze, while removing a 7 mm suit, and a sheriff's deputy reads you the riot act — that tourists aren’t spending hundreds of dollars, per night, in neighboring bed and breakfasts, to see your sorry ass.

Or so I’ve heard . . .
😂

Back
Top Bottom