why do people do this ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plankspanker:
I get a big kick out of not silting up everything but honestly most divers and non-divers alike could care less about that so if I was looking for an ego boost telling anyone that wouldn't do much.

H, You are looking better and better as a future DB. Sure you can't swing LD weekend off for a quick trip to PC?:eyebrow:

sololady:
H, You are looking better and better as a future DB. Sure you can't swing LD weekend off for a quick trip to PC?:eyebrow:

So you are impressed with my 40 foot dive? cool!
My wallet says not to even consider doing two florida trips in the same month :)

NWGratefulDiver:
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/sited/story/html/215466

184 feet ... apparently on a single cylinder ... apparently without a buddy ... why do people di(v)e like this ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You say this like he intended to go there, and this whole thread has debated to death the whole deep diving thing, but in reality, as is most cases, you all don't have all the facts. I personally know of two very experienced divers that were out in the exact same area, at the same time, in which this accident took place. They had to abort their dive after only a few minutes as the tide was running quite fast. For those in the area, when the tide runs this fast, the currents can actually suck you down. This seems to be only a factor in the mans death, but it would suggest an explanation as to the depth, which was recorded on a computer, not a guage.

Too often I see people blaming this or that on ideas that would seem to affirm ones own knowledge or experience. In my limited time underwater, i have come to realize that every dive is a new dive, no matter how long and hard you prepare, something will always be different, from the things you see, to how much gas you have.

Just lets try to have open minds, and learn, learn, learn, maybe not so much soap boxing and preaching. We all bring something to the table, we should also add a little respect to that.

diverDano:
You say this like he intended to go there, and this whole thread has debated to death the whole deep diving thing, but in reality, as is most cases, you all don't have all the facts. I personally know of two very experienced divers that were out in the exact same area, at the same time, in which this accident took place. They had to abort their dive after only a few minutes as the tide was running quite fast. For those in the area, when the tide runs this fast, the currents can actually suck you down. This seems to be only a factor in the mans death, but it would suggest an explanation as to the depth, which was recorded on a computer, not a guage.

Too often I see people blaming this or that on ideas that would seem to affirm ones own knowledge or experience. In my limited time underwater, i have come to realize that every dive is a new dive, no matter how long and hard you prepare, something will always be different, from the things you see, to how much gas you have.

Just lets try to have open minds, and learn, learn, learn, maybe not so much soap boxing and preaching. We all bring something to the table, we should also add a little respect to that.
Questioning and blaming are two very different things. I don't believe I've been disrespectful of anyone by asking.

The idea is that people SHOULD question what went wrong when someone dies. You bring up a very good point ... the area is well-known for strong currents. On a day with a reasonably large tidal exchange, why choose to dive that particular site?

If your friends are so experienced, don't they plan their dives around tidal exchanges? I would think that'd be a rather high priority ... especially at sites where downwellings are known to occur on large tidal exchanges.

This isn't meant to be disrespectful ... but it's legitimate to ask people to think about these things, so they won't become the subject of a future thread in this forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, Bob, you've never aborted a dive before??? What, you were'nt prepared 100 %??? Come on...enough negativity. Sounds like you want to disturb crap more than anything.

diverDano:
So, Bob, you've never aborted a dive before??? What, you were'nt prepared 100 %??? Come on...enough negativity. Sounds like you want to disturb crap more than anything.

bob's whole point was that the proper point to abort this dive would have been before it ever got started -- or as your friends did when they aborted after a few minutes of being in that current.

diverDano:
So, Bob, you've never aborted a dive before??? What, you were'nt prepared 100 %???
Sure ... anybody who dives regularly will have to abort a dive at some point ... around here current is a typical cause. There's a reason they call 'em "predictions", after all. On the other hand, I know enough to not plan dives at current-intensive sites on days with large tidal exchanges ... most experienced divers do. It's one thing to call a dive due to unexpected conditions. It's another entirely to choose a dive site on a day when conditions can reasonably be expected to be unfavorable. In other discussions, experienced divers familiar with this site have already stated that it wasn't a good day to be diving there.

That's the point ... the best rescue technique is the one that teaches you how to reduce the possibility of putting yourself in a position to need rescuing.

Someone died ... the most legitimate question that can be asked is "why". Looking at potential causes is the only way to do that.

diverDano:
Come on...enough negativity. Sounds like you want to disturb crap more than anything.
Perhaps it would be helpful if you read this ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=52701

... I submit that your comments are violating the rules of this forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fine, I'm gonna remove myself. I really don't need to expose myself to this negativity. My life will be more pleasant without all this bickering.

DiverDano: I have been reading this thread, and haven't seen the negativity that you pointed out, nor Bob trying to stir anything up. Could you please post examples of what you feel is negative. Are you sure you just didn't take something out of context? It's quite easy to do on forums. I know I do it all the time.. :(

Matt

I'm done, seems that "Bob" has to have the last word on every one, look through this whole thread, he has to correct everyone. So Bob, enjoy, it'll be without me.

My apologies to everyone, I hate this as much as you all do.

Back
Top Bottom