Why do tanks get hot when you fill them from higher pressure tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, bizarrely, you are the only one who 'has figured it out'. From my perspective you have been given a number of excellent examples of what is actually occurring and yet you continue to insist you alone have the correct explanation for the physics involved. The gas moving into the empty cylinder is getting compressed, end of story, searching for any other explanation and searching for information on Wikipedia is just getting you stuck in a mental cul-de-sac of your own making. I look forward to the thread where you explain the Earth is actually flat.

So, bizarrely, you are the only one who 'has figured it out'.
Doppler gave the same answers I did - I noticed you didn't try. He was the only one here who has even tried. (I'm not saying Doppler agrees with me, but he at least understands the process well enough to give the right answers. He claims to have taught physics and it appears to me at least that he knows it. If his conclusions based on those answers differ from mine, he hasn't said so.)

The questions aren't that hard. Joule "figured it out." Wikipedia "figured it out." Wikipedia has lots of supporting reference links. I can't say I figured out anything, but I was able to read up enough to apply the answers given by others to the same situation. Everything I posted was fully supported by math and physics references that I posted links to. It matches and explains all the physical examples I know of. I gave every step in the physical process, the equations that apply and relevant links. No one has taken any effort to try to do that - they just say "You're wrong - the gas expanding out of one tank starting at 3000 psi into another tank ending at 1500 psi is magically being compressed, not expanded." If the volume of the first tank had just doubled, no one would claim that the gas was being compressed, but because the doubled volume includes some extra volume in a transfill whip, they say it's no longer expansion.

Surely someone here could take this to some physics/chemistry/thermodynamics professor and get him/her to comment. I don't know any or I'd do it.

I love the presumption that anyone who disagrees with your erroneous conclusions hasn't bothered working it out! I think you'll find you're still in a minority of one.

Compression.png

Reactions: RJP
Perhaps this might help?

"There are plenty of cases though where gas might be taken from one container to another through a valve. And I've seen people talk about this in the same terms as the "free expansion" I just explained above, take this one for example: Free Expansion
Although it is true that the total internal energy is the same in this once the pressures equalize, it is not true that the internal energy for each side is the same. They would have to mix completely and come to equilibrium after the pressures equilized in order for that to occur, so this very misleading. One wouldn't expect mixing to occur very effectively between these two volumes because of the restriction between them. What we find in this case is the gas on the high pressure side (side A) has actually expanded isentropically and all the entropy change is occurring on side B. If you apply the first law to each side independently, you'll find that to be the case."

At least this is a new way to express the same argument - graphically. It's creative thinking like this that makes it worthwhile.

You are making the residual air argument by leaving air in the second tank. I agree the residual air in that second tank is being compressed. The escaping air is expanding. If the single unit of air in the second tank is at 1 bar, then we need to put 200+ units in the first tank for 3000 psi. The expansion of 200+ units into twice the volume overcomes the effect of the compression of one. Only the one single unit of air sees compression. All the others see expansion.

It still doesn't explain why my oxygen tank heats up when they evacuate it (for safety) before filling.

I don't know if you've followed all the thread (heaven forbid!) but there are at least two other good arguments beyond the "residual air" argument. One is the leakage of heat energy into the system at the fill valve and one is the non-ideal nature of air. All three are good arguments, and some convinced me for several years, but I kept coming back to the fact that we can eliminate all of them. Evacuate the tank being filled - expanding air still gets hot. Insulate the valve - the air still gets hot. Use the ideal gas equations - the gas still gets hot.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 11:50 AM ----------

Perhaps this might help?

"There are plenty of cases though where gas might be taken from one container to another through a valve. And I've seen people talk about this in the same terms as the "free expansion" I just explained above, take this one for example: Free Expansion
Although it is true that the total internal energy is the same in this once the pressures equalize, it is not true that the internal energy for each side is the same. They would have to mix completely and come to equilibrium after the pressures equilized in order for that to occur, so this very misleading. One wouldn't expect mixing to occur very effectively between these two volumes because of the restriction between them. What we find in this case is the gas on the high pressure side (side A) has actually expanded isentropically and all the entropy change is occurring on side B. If you apply the first law to each side independently, you'll find that to be the case."
Wow! An answer I agree with! I haven't looked at the free expansion link yet, but I'll assume until I do that it matches the Wikipedia free expansion link. The gas on one side does work and expands at nearly constant entropy. That cools it. It sends the energy extracted from that expansion into the gas going to the second tank. You can think of the gas on the other side as expanding with "free expansion = Joule expansion" which is a constant temperature expansion, coupled with heating from the energy transferred through kinetic energy converted to heat. Or you can just think of all the gas as undergoing free expansion at constant temperature, but it hasn't yet mixed thoroughly, so the colder gas is balanced by the heat in the hotter tank.

This is the key to the explanation. You can expand gas at constant entropy and make it colder by extracting energy (making the gas do work) or you can expand it at constant temperature by letting the entropy increase.

I was getting to the point where I thought no one would see the basic physics of the process. Perhaps you don't agree with everything I said, but at least you didn't say anything I disagreed with and at least in my own mind, it's a perfect match for what I've been saying since I started to get a handle on what was happening.

Edit - I looked at that link. Yes, it states exactly what the Wikipedia article says.

If the receiving tank gets its gas from the full tank, then according to your argument, shouldn't that gas have gotten colder due to expansion before getting hotter due to compression?

Get your nose out of the hypothetical world of textbooks and formulas and go to your local LDS. Ask them to transfill a tank at 3,000psi into a tank at 0psi. During the process, put your hand on the valve of the donor tank. Then put your hand on the receiving tank.

All will be made known.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom