Why do the LDS's take it????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allanon:
Where is your Internet site when you need some advice??? :06: Or local dive site info???

The 500 other divers in the Tri State area, as for money I try to spread it around between the LDS and the Internet

Sideband:

Never heard of it :eyebrow:

All we need now is for LP to sell compressors on the cheap. So when our LDS's, who refuse to adapt to the current market go out of business. We will still be happy.
- g mount

Well, I don't have an LDS. My closes is over an hour drive, and they're a multi sports place. The nearest dive shop is 2 hours away. So whenever I go to a shop, it's armed with the knowlege of what I want, and I let them know how far I've come to give them money. You'd be suprized at how often that doesn't impress them. The shop I've gone to the most in the past couple years have let go the two employees who were the most helpful and friendly. Last time I was there, they acted put out that I got there 2 hours before they closed, and wanted a nitrox fill for an early morning boat. They "fit me in", and gave me a short fill to boot. I know a couple shops nearby, though.

Ya know, the LDS's around here have nothing really to offer except classes in exchange for money and tank fills. I've never once gotten any dive site information from them, tested gear at their shop, or even hooked up with a dive buddy from the shop even though I have been open and tried to encourage more. Once I hooked up with ScubaBoard the number of dives I was doing went from near nothing to almost weekly.

Now, only recently have I been doing any dives with one of the 3 local shops I visit and its because the instructor/manager is so overwhelmed that he asked if I could play safety diver for his classes in exchange for free air ups and a brewsky afterwards. Works for me, its fun to help out and the free air makes up for the drive to a place I wouldn't normally dive.

Divesherpa:
Nobody ever shook my hand and said, "Let's go diving so you can try it out. There is a nice Loggerhead out at Black Condos that would enjoy seeing us today:wink:."

You assume that choice is available to those of us who choose to dive with Ben Franklin instead. For most of us, we can be charged list-plus and receive free abuse, or we can stay home, save, and find buddies elsewhere. You're fortunate to find the shop you describe -- most of us have the other kind.

As a very new diver (but one who's been around business for a while) I'd like to make mention of something here.

In an era of Amazon.com, there are small bookstores that flourish. In an era of Home Depot and Lowes, there are small shops that flourish. The reason? Service. I don't see the SCUBA LDS as any different.

I have 2 dive shops in my town. They carry quite different gear. The one closest to me is very professionally run. Neat, tidy, well staffed, etc. They have some gear I like. But they are almost exclusively suited to recreational diving.

The other shop in town is uhhh, different. Everything is not tidy. But damn, they carry nearly all the gear I like. They allow the area's largest dive club to meet there. They have recreational gear, tech gear, cave gear, etc. They have recreational guys working there, cave divers there, DIR guys there, etc. The class instruction schedule is spotty. Sometimes you have to wait a while for service. If you're in a hurry to get your stuff, this is not the place to be.

But I will say this for both shops. When I first got certified back in '94, I took my class at the second shop, and bought gear at the first one. I support both shops. Both are very good at what they do, just in different ways. Good people at both places.

Now, if you look at my location, you'll see that I am in the mecca for US cave diving. When one shop in town simply does not carry ANY gear suitable for that style of diving, that speaks volume about what kind of customer they plan to service. The other carries two different manufacturers of BP/W, HID lights, cave reels, spools, reels, SMBs, lift bags, dry suits, etc. Their shop also speaks volumes about the clientele they intend to service.

I spoke briefly to the owner of the second shop. My tastes in diving tend more toward exploration, and technical work. I explained to him why I was buying gear from his shop instead of online (though I will get some stuff online). And to be succinct, it was because he employs cave divers, carries tech gear, and services those types of customers to the best of his ability.

The lesson here is that *GOOD* LDS's are not in a lot of danger of getting put out of busniess because of Scubatoys or Leisure Pro. Yes, people are going to buy stuff online, but that's no big deal. It's the shops that may customers feel like sheep, or feel unwanted that are going to feel the pinch. The idea is "value added" service. Having a shop in town that carries nearly all the stuff I want, having guys working there who dive that gear, that shop hosting the local club where I can find dive buddies for 20ft OW dives, or 1000ft cave dives, and them having fair pricing, does wonders.

just my $.02

I have to say I have dived with more people from scuba board and gotten more equipment/dive site info here than from any LDS. In fact the LDS that had a club that I used to be a member of...never, ever did one dive with them, because their dive trips consisted of vacations (fine if you can plan a year in advance) and trips to the quarry while running classes. You were looked on badly if heaven forbid you mentioned about diving on the dive boat that was owned by another LDS and not with the only independant in the area that they favoured. All I can say about the LDS stuff is waaa waaa waaa.

I would consider ScubaToys a LDS with smart marketing :wink: I think Larry does well because he knows what a diver wants.

If my any of my LDS's were like them, I would buy all my crap from them, and I am in the middle of 5 dives shops. But they are not, and some of the stuff I use, the nearest dealer is 250 miles away. So the internet is the only option sometimes.

This sport has always been about hanging out, drinking beer, telling stories and of course diving...for me at least. It was about being involved in the teaching, the divemastering, the local trips and the tropical trips that kept me going in this sport. It was the guys at my LDS that got me into tech diving and more advanced diving. I dont think that I would be the diver I am now without the LDS. Ohhhh ya.... I buy gear there too. The shop gives me good deals, he dosnt rip customers off, he is trying to make money like everyone else. I guess I could save 50 bucks on a reg or something by purchasing on line but if I can give that extra 50 to the shop to keep it going, it is worth it in my eyes. I guess I am lucky in that I hang at an awsome shop...and have an extra 50 bucks to spend..

ok
i read most of this. and figure ill add my .02
internet shoppin will alway be cheaper. less over head, and they do a bigger volume of sales and are gettin the product cheaper.
where do they get it.... grey market... i bet most internet stores have a actual store, and are also networked with other LDS to get various brands.
most vendors.. like scubapro, dive rite...... bla bla.. actually discourage there gear being sold on the web because it hurts the LDS.
as far as them controllin the prices,.. well yes but only to a extent...
they cannot advertise below MSRP but can haggle all day long.
what the LDS give that a web stor dont is the service. answers to questions.. aface to face conversation with somone who uses it. in some cases trying it first...
i like to look toutch taste and smell befor i drop a bunch of cash on something...
what if theres a issue with your new product.. what a PITA that is now ..
had it been delt with from a LDS the problem could be solved before you even get out the door.
also LDS are hurting right now.....
most of the income of a LDS is based off new divers takin classes..
and people just dont wanna spend that kinda cash to "try something new" in todays economy.
so what is everyone gonna do when all the LDS are gone.. get your air fills online?
ok on the flip side.
i am not goin to mention any names at all so as not to create a LDS war
but over the years i have visited about a dozen shops in the RI and MA area.
and every time with intention to spend some degree of money, sometimes just a fill of some lead... sometimes continuing education.
and 10 of the 12 shop had a. "your bothering me attitude" as i came in...
one was a nutrual attitude..... i was spending some money but not over 100.00 and also askin about local diving .. and he just wasnt really intrested in a conversation or advice. but at the same time wasnt rude like most others..
and one shop is just happy to see you no matter who you are. buying or not..
now of all therse shops. the last oen seemed to be doin the best as far as i could tell.

anyway my message here is ya gotta support your LDS
and those who are shop owners. ya gota treat your costomers good. or there gonna go elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom