Why do we want to kill the big ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile:
I've never even held a spear gun and the reason seems pretty darn simple to me. Why would a boxer want to take on the champ when he could just keep fighting in the local Golden Gloves? Why do men with no reason to own anything bigger than a Civic buy a Hummer? What’s the difference between a regular wife and a “trophy wife?”

Bigger is better, and everyone (whether they like it or not) gets that.

JB

The difference between a trophy wife, and a regular wife,and a trophy fish, and a regular fish is about the same.....30LBs. You also get more women that look like "trophys" in that hummer than that civic!:D

Ironhed:
.......personally I have to agree the somewhat smaller fish do taste better on my plate than the giant ones but I also have to agree that when I go down to shoot my goal is to get it done with the least amount of effort possible.

I also like the thinner fish. I almost always cook mine on a grill in a fish basket. No foil and no marinade, just spices. If I nail a nice gag or black and the meat filet is 2 inches thick, I'll thin cut that again to get it down to less than an inch thick. If it's a king or cobe, I won't filet the fish, but I'll steak it instead and make the steaks a little thinner than most people do.

The hogs, sheepies, mango's are just fantastic, hot right off the grill after 4 mins a side. Even though I not a big fan of blackened or fried, I would think that you would want a thicker fish for this prep since it would hold together better.

I recently bought 2 really nice fish baskets I am thinking of using them tonight. any tips on a nice buttery baste

Ironhed:
.... any tips on a nice buttery baste

I keep mine real simple. This will give you a dryer, more hearty fish than wrapping it in foil.

Spray both sides of the filets with the new 'PAM for Grilling' spray which doesn't stick to the fish baskets.

Sprinkle with garlic seasoning, Popcorn Butter salt, pepper, and any other spices that you have around. With the basket set about 5 inches high, with an inch and a half flame, I'll cook each side 4 minutes. Cleanup is very easy with a quick brush. Serve immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom